508d rear bearing nut socket

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolvesamongus

Car
1986 ex NATO Mercedes 508D
Hi from a new member, I am trying to locate the toothed socket that slots into the stub axel spindle and goes onto the toothed bearing nut on the rear axel Duel wheels, are there old time commercial Mercedes van or bus mechanics out there with one tucked away somewhere?
I know it can be done with a hammer and blunt chisel but to retighten you cannot get a feel for how tight you are pulling in before backing of.

Regards------Kim

I made one of these many many years ago when I first had my old 508 in 1989. I bought a new nut from Mercedes and overlaid it onto a 2" 3/4" drive socket and spent some time with angle grinder and a file and created the " castle " top to fit the nut. Only of course because the proper tool was enormously expensive. You will need new locking washers when you do the job especially if they have been butchered on and off before. After 13 years of ownership the bodywork was rotting away, and engine had done 400,000 plus. What a good old van that was. Regards.

I made one of these many many years ago when I first had my old 508 in 1989. I bought a new nut from Mercedes and overlaid it onto a 2" 3/4" drive socket and spent some time with angle grinder and a file and created the " castle " top to fit the nut. Only of course because the proper tool was enormously expensive. You will need new locking washers when you do the job especially if they have been butchered on and off before. After 13 years of ownership the bodywork was rotting away, and engine had done 400,000 plus. What a good old van that was. Regards.

I can't locate one anywhere But then I don't know the size and what they are called, toothed socket I guess, I think I will end up as you did making one.
My van has never had the wheels of it's still got the NATO paint on the wheel nuts, it had only done 002500Km when I got it one year ago it had been in a hanger in holland fore 26 years no hint of rust.

Regards Kim

I've come across them on old 4x4 Dana hubs. I've heard them called lug or pin axle/hub nut sockets, and I think the U.S. guys call them spindle nut sockets.

The Dana ones came in 4 or 6 pin formats and were not expensive, so you may be surprised.

Cheers

Many thanks for the link, I looked on the site in question, it's like the Klann 0301 listed but a deeper socket and Six pin I think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom