55 Kompressor brake pedal travel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

paterson12

Car
CL 55 AMG Kompressor, BMW X6, 1968 Porsche 911 swb
Hello.

Just had new pads, discs and had the system bled.

My problem is there's quite a lot of brake pedal travel, maybe about half an inch before the brakes start to kick in.

It was like this before but I was hoping the new pads, discs would fix this. It's a shame as the stopping power of the car is awesome but it inspires no confidence.

Is this normal? Anything I can do to sharpen the pedal up?

Thanks

I had the very same issue with mine for about 3 years, i thought the brake pedal traveled way too far before the brakes kicked in.

Had the discs and pads changed (all 4) but it was the same, then had the fluid changed and still no joy. I was beginning to think this IS perhaps normal.

But while getting some work done on the back end they had the whole rear axle off the car. The guys told me that my rear brake pipes were badly corroded and this would be a good time to get them replaced as they run behind the axle. So i took the opportunity and got them changed, and although not maybe at 100% it was definitely a vast improvement in braking power than before. Its actually not too bad now.

But that was only the rear pipes replaced, im thinking it may improve further if some of the other piping at the front is changed as well. I was also thinking of braided hose lines to the calipers but i think the condition of the actual brake lines themselves might be more of an issue.

So personally, id get your brake pipes checked over.

Thank you that. I've just had the rear hoses changed on the back calipers but no real change to the brakes.

The car is booked in a Mercedes next month so as you recommended I shall get the brake line checked out.

^ It doesn't. Rest easy:D

My own thoughts are that the system still has air in it for the pedal to travel that far before getting any brake response.

^ It doesn't. Rest easy:D

My own thoughts are that the system still has air in it for the pedal to travel that far before getting any brake response.

Nobody seems to like sbc :D

I think you're right, I'll have the system bled again and see if it improves.

Nobody seems to like sbc :D

I think you're right, I'll have the system bled again and see if it improves.

i think its a great system tbh, but i havent had the bill yet lol:doh:

I read 55 and automatically thought w211, no not a lot of people like sbc, it was a bad idea and was proven to be by not being used currently.

I read 55 and automatically thought w211, no not a lot of people like sbc, it was a bad idea and was proven to be by not being used currently.

It was a great system, flawed by the pump being a consumable item. Whilst MB replaced them FOC, everyone was happy. Now they charge a not inconsiderable sum to replace one, many 211's will be scrapped before their time because of a fault too costly to be fixed.

Im looking into fitting braided brake hoses by goodridge to see if that makes a difference.

It was a great system, flawed by the pump being a consumable item. Whilst MB replaced them FOC, everyone was happy. Now they charge a not inconsiderable sum to replace one, many 211's will be scrapped before their time because of a fault too costly to be fixed.

It was probably a great system on paper, we said exactly the same at Mercedes "211s will be scrapped before there time" whilst doing endless wiring recalls, modified pipe replacements and software upgrades etc on cars that had only just come in for there first service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom