55 performance dissapointment.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Press and hold the down-shift button or press the gear select lever left and hold will tell the autobox to drop as many gears as required to give the greatest acceleration. Basically putting the engine revs right on the power curve

I like this tip, I look forward to trying this one out.

So I'm guessing that the difference in wot kick down compared to the above method is the fact the 55k engine delivers greatest acceleration lower in the rev range than at the top rpm that kick down would place the gearing ?

What rpm is generally thought of as peak power curve in this engine, 4000 ?

I must have missed this first time around.
I can see what the OP means, assuming nothing is wrong. Mine is quick, I'm not claiming otherwise, and very subtle about it which, I feel, makes it seem "slower".
There's relatively little noise inside yet if you look at the speedo the numbers are climbing very quickly. Yet it doesn't feel fast. Its also a big heavy car so there is a certain amount of inertia to get over, it isn't going to feel like an r500 caterham.
Mine is exactly what I want. Huge, comfortable and very capable of overtaking almost anything.
But my last car was a 490bhp 996 turbo. Now that was quick, the e55 doesn't feel anything like as vicious. I also didn't really like it which is why I sold it after a year. I'd be interested to see how they would compare and in some ways I wouldn't be surprised if the difference was far less than I imagine but that's part of it, your impression.
I reckon the 911 would hit 100 in 8.5 to 9 secs. A new, fresh e55 is about 10.5 and mine is on 120k miles so yes its slower but I couldn't carry the kitchen and the table in the 911!
You can't reinvent the laws of physics, its all relative.

Interesting.

Agreed, I'm sure there is a degree of refinement which belies the speedo climbing, and hence reduces the impression of speed.

A r500 must seem insanely quick, but think you would struggle to carry a kitchen plate let alone a table in one! :)

I like this tip, I look forward to trying this one out.

So I'm guessing that the difference in wot kick down compared to the above method is the fact the 55k engine delivers greatest acceleration lower in the rev range than at the top rpm that kick down would place the gearing ?

The difference is that you don't have to wait for kick down, effectively you're anticipating the need to kick down and doing it manually, before putting your foot down. This way you get maximum thrust without the pause, for safer over taking.

ChrisCLS55 said:
I was shocked the first time I really floored my CLS55, the power and speed was immense and I've driven my brother-in-law's Porsche 911 Turbo, an M3 etc. The 55 engine is like a wild animal when provoked. It should never feel underpowerd, just overpowered. That's the feeling I get from my engine, tap that pedal and it wants to take off.
I'm with you on this one , over powered Is a term
I use to describe my CLS 55 ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom