55AMG expert ideas? Bad noises...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

7om

Car
CLS55
Hi,

Just wondering if any 55 AMG owners have had this issue. At first I suspected the tensioner idler bearing but on closer inspection this afternoon, the noise seems to be coming from the supercharger rotating thing behind the pulley.

With the belt removed there's a bit of play when shaking the supercharger pulley. It's not the bearing in the pulley itself, but behind it. Not sure if they can be shook slightly or have any play 0.5mm tops.

This is the noise running, it's quite loud? Is it safe to do a 300mile journey tomorrow or does it sound serious?

I'm ordering a new belt but this noise is more metallic, than a rubber squeak.

I've put water on the belt and it seems to go a little quieter but the noise is still there.

The tensioner bearing seems pretty firm, hardly any play at all.

Any ideas?

http://youtu.be/YxJK92sepvg

As stupid as it may sound have you checked the tensioner pulley below and to the right of the s/c?

I had this on my 55 and it sounded like it was coming from the s/c when infact it was the tensioner below.

My supercharger had slight movement in it too.

I'm pretty sure it's from the top, do you mean the tensioner to the left? (Supercharger belt tensioner) That spins freely without any resistance so I don't think its the problem.

The other tensioner and pulleys are ok as when I run the car without the supercharger belt it's fine..hmm

I'm pretty sure it's from the top, do you mean the tensioner to the left? (Supercharger belt tensioner) That spins freely without any resistance so I don't think its the problem.

The other tensioner and pulleys are ok as when I run the car without the supercharger belt it's fine..hmm

Edit just read your tried that all ready.

Do you mean the magnetic clutch ?

Edit just read your tried that all ready.

Have you had the twin guide pulley off as the outer pulley bearing / seat can wear and causes similar noises. I would remove it and inspect it's condition.

Have you had the twin guide pulley off as the outer pulley bearing / seat can wear and causes similar noises. I would remove it and inspect it's condition.

I think it sounds like the belt could be worn. If your local to Worcester I have one you can try and spare pulleys.

Hi,

Thanks for the responses, I've got a new belt to collect from ECP to try tomorrow.

The 83mm supercharger pulley bearing spins freely, it's only 6 months old (fitted with a remap). The rubbing sound seems to be coming from inside the magnetic clutch area. Is there anything inside there that could cause it?

sounds like it will be your supercharger bearing, get it swapped out

Its just strange as when the supercharger belt is removed, the supercharger pulley still turns but there are no rubbing noises.

This rules out the lower belt and pulleys.

Eurocarparts ordered in the wrong belt so I can't check it.

the supercharger bearing may still be the culprit as with any load its making a noise

Can you post up a picture of the gap between the supercharger pulley an magnet

There's no change in sound when I grab the magnet clutch behind the pulley, this is why I feel it may be the sc bearing. If the noise got louder when I stop the free spinning clutch part I'd suspect that I need more spacers for the pulley.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom