55K Engine, What is the correct IAT

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andy27168

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
65 Plate E350 CDI Convertible, 2006 CLS 55 AMG, 1997 C230K, 1999 C43/55 AMG
Hi,
Recently after talking to a fellow forum member at TRAX regarding monitoring IATs, I bought myself a Bluetooth plug-in device and downloaded the torque app. Well I got round to monitoring the intake temps and after a few good hard runs, my intake temp was 110c though it did return very quickly to just below 80c (ambient air temp was around 22-23c, coolant temp never exceeded 95c
STAR short test has turned up a P1999 Fault code, I take it I have a failed charge cooler pump, what are my options?
Also could someone explain how the charge cooling works? Is it a completely different system to the engine cooling? sorry for what may seem stupid questions but have not looked to closely at the plumbing of my car.
Any help is appreciated.

The charge cooling and engine cooling are technically two separate systems, however they share the same reservoir, so there will be some transfer of heat from the engine coolant circuit.

An upgraded pump or new pump will improve dramatically the AIT if that is the fault.

It really is a problem with the 55k to keep things cool, however if upgrading performance parts i.e. pulley crank or SC increases the temperatures further.

One way to combat this is an upgraded heat exchanger, followed by split cooling, ice tank, killer chiller and so on.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/160285-55k-cooling-upgrade.html

I originally upgraded to the Johnston CM30 pump (although the stock pump was still good) on the factory cooling setup and after a 77mm pulley and remap cooling was still an issue.

Since then I've gone a completely different route but none the less for a standard car, or with a pulley & remap in mind, I'd highly recommend going for split cooling - separating the engine coolant from the S/C coolant - along with a new pump either Bosch or the Johnstone CM30.

The charge cooling and engine cooling are technically two separate systems, however they share the same reservoir, so there will be some transfer of heat from the engine coolant circuit.

An upgraded pump or new pump will improve dramatically the AIT if that is the fault.

It really is a problem with the 55k to keep things cool, however if upgrading performance parts i.e. pulley crank or SC increases the temperatures further. cooling, ice tank, killer chiller and so on.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/amg-lounge/160285-55k-cooling-upgrade.html

Whoops, looks like my IATs are extremely high at 110c, but looks like it will be first on the list of mods.
Think I will be going for upgraded HE and either a Bosch AVT or Bosch 010 pump, incidently anyone know what the difference is between the two, or are they the same?
HE wise has anyone have experience of the PLM HE? seems a good price and is a direct fit with no fitting issues.
https://www.privatelabelmfg.com/heat_exchanger_p/me55-heat-exchanger.htm

I'd sort out the high IAT issue first before adding any cooling mods.

I'd sort out the high IAT issue first before adding any cooling mods.

Yes I think you are correct its just what pump to fit.

The Bosch 010 is a direct fit and can be had from US eBay for £100. Johnson one needs the plugs cutting off the wiring soldering up and water proofing.

Yes I think you are correct its just what pump to fit.

Why do you need a new pump - is your original one dead? When an intercooler pump failed in my old 600TT, it cut off the power and threw an EML. The pump would eventually come back (and fail again after a WOT run) but those two symptoms would always be there. I don't know if ECU would allow 110C IATs. I'd expect it to intervene sooner. Perhaps a faulty IAT sensor or a BT dongle. I don't trust the latter and use a hardwired one.

After the I logged the high IATs, 103c and 110c the following day I plugged it into my STAR set up and it had logged a P1999 Fault code, which advised me to check the pump/heat exchanger. It had also logged the same code when I bought it back in December, at which point after clearing the fault code that I could be looking at a possible pump replacement if the code returned.
This and the fact the car smells when I give it a bit of stick, the engine response seems very vague/flat and the engine always seems extremely hot under the bonnet.
I must admit I am very surprised not to have seen the MIL warning light when these high IATs occur.
With all the above in mind do you think it could be something else other than the pump?

Last edited:
Andy i had high IATs on mine, (i constantly saw 80C) but had already bought Bosch 010 from US and changed and now its sitting around 50 or lower.

Can anyone advise what these should be with everyone running as they should? I have heard people mentioning below 40C (is that achievable from standard cooling?)

Andy i had high IATs on mine, (i constantly saw 80C) but had already bought Bosch 010 from US and changed and now its sitting around 50 or lower.

Can anyone advise what these should be with everyone running as they should? I have heard people mentioning below 40C (is that achievable from standard cooling?)

Yes. My car runs around, well under 40 with standard cooling setup, & He. I have johnsons sc pump fitted by Acid, + a full service before he did my Mods.

Will be splitting the cooling hopefully in the next week or so though, ready for RWYB Santa Pod on the 12th.

620bhp!!! thats very good considering standard cooling.

Thanks. Cars been solid reliability wise.

Interesting.

If the pump is failing it wont always switch the supercharger off. The increase in heat will cause the ECU to dump fuel and run rich. The car will feel like it is holding back, but there will still be power present.

Im having this same issue at the moment. ACID and the team @ MSL are working on trying to resolve this issue.

Interesting.

If the pump is failing it wont always switch the supercharger off. The increase in heat will cause the ECU to dump fuel and run rich. The car will feel like it is holding back, but there will still be power present.

Im having this same issue at the moment. ACID and the team @ MSL are working on trying to resolve this issue.

Oright Mate,

What power did you get to after 2nd attempt of Remap? How is Car running now? I am considering 77mm now...84mm would be waste of money i think LOL when 77mm can get me close to 600bhp.

Interesting.

^^^^^
As above for me, data graphs on my first post in my cooling thread shows a failing pump, and the smell is a symptom as well, there is also an extract showing what the ECU will do to combat this prior to SC disengage.

Oright Mate,

What power did you get to after 2nd attempt of Remap? How is Car running now? I am considering 77mm now...84mm would be waste of money i think LOL when 77mm can get me close to 600bhp.

Are the 77mm pulleys clutched or fixed Amo?
I'd be concerned especially with the heat issues if they are fixed pulleys.

Are the 77mm pulleys clutched or fixed Amo?
I'd be concerned especially with the heat issues if they are fixed pulleys.

^^^^^^ Agreed Roger
For the FSP you need the full range of cooling mods and live data logging for IAT's, there is no safety margin i.e. SC disengage to safeguard engine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom