560 m117 engine variations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Roguetrader

Car
A Van!
Hi
I'm looking looking at buying a 560 SEC and just have a few questions regarding the engine change over.
One car i'm looking at is a 1988/89 F reg when i've compared the engine to a 1990 model G reg theres noticeable differences in some components and layout under the bonnet.
I presume this is the ece and ezl variants and i would have the old one in the 1988/89?.
see pics

1989.jpg

1990.jpg

Is there much difference in quality / reliability between the two?

To be honest I don't see much difference except the 89 is RHD whereas the 90 is LHD. There were more emission controls on the USA cars meaning they were down on power 275bhp as opposed to the euro versions original 300 would that explain it?

I think the US cars were even lower than that. What a shame.

There was a general power increase in our side of the pond when they raised the compression in around '88/'89. I think the 560 stayed the same power though just got called something different. (ECE/Ruf etc.)
No difference in quality :)

Can anyone one tell me as i know nothing about engines what this part is? and why its not the same on this car to others I've seen on the same engine.
I'm thinking of going to see this car to buy and just want as much info as possible before go.

560.jpg

It looks like the SLS/ASD pump

No it's the cruise control actuator, I.e the motor that controls throttle when using cruise

Thanks Jaymanek that the one... Also do you know why this one looks different
(larger) to all the others i've seen in SEC's, is it a after market replacement or is it taken from another model? Is it a bad thing?

Just a follow up on this.
I've been searching around now that i know it's the cruise control actuator and found out it's different because this model has got the ASR option fitted.
Also you're apparently probably better not having it as it's more trouble than it's worth.
This guy on another forum, that i'm not a member of seems to know his stuff and kindly explains it all...

1991 560SEC Electronic Accelerator Control Unit...Help Please!!! - Mercedes-Benz Forum

I have it on both of my cars... I managed to fix one by swapping units until i got my fault sorted and on the other I have just disabled it... more fun doing mini burn outs with 325 width tyres anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom