560 sel, opinions?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Can't advise on value, but what a comprehensive advert! Interesting to read even for those of us that don't want a 22 year old 5.5 litre S-Class.

I note he doesn't mention fuel economy...

Be careful. There are many 126's about that are absolute piles of ****e.

I know the mpg is bad, but what ever I get its a weekend toy with less than 5000 pa, so its either this, e55 w210 ilk, maybe a c32 amg, just something sleeper and different.

He has done a cracking advert, and not owned the car long. On speaking with him he sounds very genuine. What appeals to me over the w210 and c32 is like my w124 the ability to atleast fix things yourself if they are not spot on.

for reference though, a friend has run a 560 for 19 years now, and averaged 17 mpg and upto 22 on runs.

Hi Tuscan, as with all cars on e-Bay, i would most definitely view it prior to bidding (or see if there are any members, experienced in 126's, who live nearby and who would be prepared to have a look over it for you).

looks ok but you need to see these cars in the flesh. From the pics its obvious that the paintwork has had some cheap tarting up.

Why do people always go on about the mpg on big engine cars? If you are worried about mpg don't go looking for a 5ltr+, 2 ton car;)

Nice car, shame it's green though....

I totally don't car about mpg, rather that than some boring eurobox.

I quite like the forest green. Insurance with PB is only 181, so I cannot use that as an excuse not to now!

I have a 560SEL and a 560SEC. They are fantastic cars. The US 560SEL's make about 236hp. The European models make closer to 300HP.

Mine is very quick so I expect that this one should be a fire ball.

They are very hard wearing cars. Mine has 253,000 miles and feels as tight as a drum. Make sure that you stay on top of timing change and guide rail changes which must be done every 100,000 miles as rails can break and cause the chain to jump time.

If you have any specific questions, hit me up.

I am sure it was on EBAY about 6 weeks a ago sitting in a yard of a business selling it in the Birmingham area
Offer him 1500, but can you live with all that green

Good luck

The color is not that bad but it just does not suit the car
I does look like a good example though

Just to add , an old barge SEL is a very different car to the AMG E55 and C32 that you also mentioned ..

If you are considering them , it seems you are looking for a very different experience to what the SEL will offer , 5.6 litre or not ...

The old SEL will build up speed comparatively slowly , whereas the others are rocketships . You wouldn't see which way a modern ( ish ) hot hatch went in the old SEL , but the AMG's would terrify them.

I could nott agree more re inspecting before buying on bay of e. The amount of time and money i have wasted going to see cars that were complete dogs despite detailed ads that waxed lyrical about condition, heated garages and other such nonsense when all a blatant lie was astounding. Increasingly, you seem to get a more honest approach from fellow club members so perhaps someone has one they are looking to offload?

That one may be fine of course, but just go in eyes open and lots of good tips on the sel in this thread

Just to add , an old barge SEL is a very different car to the AMG E55 and C32 that you also mentioned ...

560SEL is certainly no E55 but in my experience of driving both, it will give an E430 a run, and past 70mph it would probably leave it.

At that kind of speed, not many GTI's will be able to keep up with it even today.

The biggest contrast between the W126 and a more modern MB is that the 560 is built like a bank vault. With 253,000 miles, my 560SEL still feels as tight as a drum. I just bought my old W210 back from a friend who I sold it to when I bought my 560. While it does a lot of things very well, it feels like a Japanese car by comparison.

A car in that condition for 1850 would be a heck of a deal on this side of the pond.

They were great cars in the day , but times have moved on , i'd happily take one on in my CLK 430. :)

I dont think the 560 is bad value for money....can't be that many left.

I would suggest viewing the car.......check out the rear suspension, ie make sure its working properly as its very expensive putting replacement suspension units on these.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom