560sec transmission

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fivesixty

Car
560 SEC
Hello all. I have just joined the MB club uk having recently perchased a 560sec 1988. the car has done 180000 miles and has a full service history but needs a little tlc. It has been owned for the last 21 years by the same guy who has kept it garaged and spared no exspence but having got the car home I have found that the transmission fluid is low is this a common thing and where can i get some. my local merc dealer stock it at £10.50 per ltr

Welcome to the forum fivesixty! For piece of mind, i'd get it booked in for a full fluid change. I recently bought my 300CE with 158k on the clock and this was one of the first things i had done.

I am sure some of the chaps on here will be able advise you as to your nearest indi - where abouts are you based?

Be aware that the fluid level should be checked at operating temperature and with the engine running ( take the car for a drive of at least 10 miles to get the transmission warmed up immediately before checking the level with the car parked on level ground ) .

If you check it cold , it will measure low on the dipstick .

Nothing wrong with changing the fluid and filter , but if the car has been well maintained by a long term owner , chances are it will be OK .

I would echo what Pontoneer said. There is a recommended procedure in the owners manual for checking the autotransmission fluid- you should follow it exactly or you will get an erroneous level reading. Too much fluid is as bad as not enough! You don't have to use the latest synthetic fluid either [expensive] your car will have used fluid meeting DEXRON II or better DEXRON 3. changed[+FILTER] every 36,000 MILES

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/FUCHS - TDS/TITAN ATF 3000.pdf

OR if your feeling flush

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/pdfs/FUCHS - TDS/TITAN ATF 4000.pdf

ps I think you will need 8 litres

The ATF is due every maintenence service. (every 18K) to keep it in good nick on that type of 'box

Time I did mine , then .

I had assumed it was every 48K , as with some of my older cars .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom