560SEC

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChipChop

MB Enthusiast
Car
S210 320cdi w201 190d 2.5
This looks a lovely honest old car. Beige with a brown leather interior. Very nice. Jimmy Tarbuck obviously had great taste in cars back in the 1980's.

Beige? BEIGE? The seller is obviously a touch colour-blind; that's ivory, and I think it suits that car rather well.

With Jimmy Tarbuck and one other owner, you would think that it's been somebody's cherished possession all its life, but with numerous little faults and only a 'partial' service history, there may be more there than meets the eye. The MoT history is very good indeed, but it's failed MoT twice recently on the horn, and now it's failed again if the ad is correct. How difficult is it to fix something like a horn?

I wonder what parts availability is like to fix the declared faults, or is it the case that with a car like that, having them fixed before sale wouldn't be cost-effective for the dealer?

Last edited:
Tarbuck had his plate "COM1C" on a stream of cute motors, "back in the day" when entertainers spent their lives driving up and down the country. Astons, Jags and a stream of Mercedes. That said, there will have been a lot of owners in the 33 years after young Tarbuck bought the 560SEC.

(There's a 2006 S600L that used to belong to Andrew Lloyd Weber that's been languishing for sale at £10k for a year or so)

19.jpg

Here's a giggle item no
How to ruine a nice car 🤫

The ad does say only one owner before the current one (not including the dealer, of course), and the car has only done 5000 miles in the last fourteen years, so if it's been a 'daily driver', most days it's averaged less than a mile.

That S600L will have an awful lot of things that could go expensively wrong, I'd have thought, but the 560 SEC should be a breeze to fix by comparison - if you can get the parts.

Really like that. A bit frumpy as is but with a few subtle tweaks it could be super cool.

If it’s structurally solid, engine has good compression and goes through the gears then it would surely make a nice running project.

Wish I had a garage 😩

Beige? BEIGE? The seller is obviously a touch colour-blind; that's ivory, and I think it suits that car rather well.

With Jimmy Tarbuck and one other owner, you would think that it's been somebody's cherished possession all its life, but with numerous little faults and only a 'partial' service history, there may be more there than meets the eye. The MoT history is very good indeed, but it's failed MoT twice recently on the horn, and now it's failed again if the ad is correct. How difficult is it to fix something like a horn?

I wonder what parts availability is like to fix the declared faults, or is it the case that with a car like that, having them fixed before sale wouldn't be cost-effective for the dealer?
You would have thought a 1980's Mercedes horn was a standard part shared by many other models, but no doubt it was over engineered in a SEC so is probably vacuum operated or some other such witchcraft.

Pity the photos are not better resolution as it would be nice to get a better impression of the paintwork and work out if it is factory paint or not.

This looks a lovely honest old car. Beige with a brown leather interior. Very nice. Jimmy Tarbuck obviously had great taste in cars back in the 1980's.

Looks like a dodgy mot if you ask me how can it fail on horn not working then pass ,then following year fail on horn again then pass either it eats horns or somethings not right imo

Looks like a dodgy mot if you ask me how can it fail on horn not working then pass ,then following year fail on horn again then pass either it eats horns or somethings not right imo
Probably just a corroded connector which gets bodged then falls off again! My 190 failed an mot last year because the light switch kept popping off - bodged it with electrical tape and they let it pass 10 mins later hurrah! (Yes I did buy a new switch).

It’s 33 years old - there will be a million things to fix. Half the suspension at least will be shagged out. Etc. If the body is solid and the engine is fundamentally sound, it’s a good one!

Winner takes all with that one

I love a Lt Ivory 126, i saw this too and thought wow!

Always wanted a 560, reminds me of my Concourse 380 sel in that colour

Awful colour for that car. A nicotine stained tooth is what it reminds me of.

Anyone know the story about Tarbie and his best mate Kenny Lynch? ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom