560sel for sale, does anyone know this car?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gunning

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLS55 AMG, 560SEL, 800BHP Rothmans 911 / Range Rover
Evening all, I’ve been looking for a w126 for a year or so now. Nothing has really cropped up that I fancy.

This one is far from standard which does put me off, but I wonder if anyone owns it/ knows the car that could tell me a bit more?

Any input is appreciated

Glorious.

Especially if it’s genuine.

^^^X2 it's a piece of history, definitely worth looking into. Only thing I would do is return the rear brake lights to the oem specs and also remove the tints to very subtle shade👍

Last edited:
Good looking car. Is it a Japanese model? The flag pole is something that I expect to see on cars from Japan.
Aside from that, the air cleaner appears to have been painted black and the cover over the distributor cap cover is missing.

Evening all, I’ve been looking for a w126 for a year or so now. Nothing has really cropped up that I fancy.

This one is far from standard which does put me off, but I wonder if anyone owns it/ knows the car that could tell me a bit more?

Any input is appreciated
This car was sold at Bonhams a couple of years ago and fetched £8.5k. Weirdly it was for sale at H&H in Buxton the same year (maybe didn't sell there). A friend was interested in it that's how I know. The info on the Bonhams sale is still on the web - just Google the reg and you'll find it.

Always a worry to me when the photos seem to have been taken on a camera with the pixel count of a Box Brownie!

Good looking car. Is it a Japanese model? The flag pole is something that I expect to see on cars from Japan.
Aside from that, the air cleaner appears to have been painted black and the cover over the distributor cap cover is missing.
If it was Japanese, I think the speedo would probably show kilometres only (I might be wrong) - perhaps it's an ex-embassy car or something. (Or maybe a previous owner acquired the flag thingy and attached it for a laugh - I think I would if I had one!)
Lovely colour.

This car was sold at Bonhams a couple of years ago and fetched £8.5k. Weirdly it was for sale at H&H in Buxton the same year (maybe didn't sell there). A friend was interested in it that's how I know. The info on the Bonhams sale is still on the web - just Google the reg and you'll find it.
Indeed I found it on there too, however I was still hoping to chat to previous owners etc.

I’ve spoken to the guy today, he’s ex trade/ still dealing in a few I think. Doesn’t put me off aslong as I know.

It hasn’t got its original service booklet which is a shame for me. He’s coming back to me with further info and we shall see from there.

MOT history only starts in 2016, which probably does indicate an imported car? IIRC Japanese ones of that era were frequently ordered in LHD though to make it obvious they were an expensive import.

The car does not show as an import on the reg checker site below. First registered in the UK on 01-12-1986. There appears to be a coat of arms on the left hand side of both number plates, may be a clue as to the cars use?

The car does not show as an import on the reg checker site below. First registered in the UK on 01-12-1986. There appears to be a coat of arms on the left hand side of both number plates, may be a clue as to the cars use?

Perhaps it was initially sold in the UK but went somewhere else?

Are there any parts of the UK where MOTs aren't required?? Looking at my old cars, online history is available from 2005 but the first one shown for this car is June 2016. Coincidentally (?) the last logbook was also issued in 2016:

1700152079496.png

1700152489166.png

Any input is appreciated
Quite a nice example by the looks of things. No nonsense 👍

I do like the wool seats. All 560's came with leather and heated seats in the US.

I do like the wool seats. All 560's came with leather and heated seats in the US.

Years ago the limo company my work used had a W126 in that colour with that interior. Not long wheelbase and only a 6 pot but still a glorious way to carve through the traffic from Heathrow to West London after a long week away on business.

FWIW, their other regular car was a 124.

It was those cars that planted the MB seed.

Perhaps it was initially sold in the UK but went somewhere else?

Are there any parts of the UK where MOTs aren't required?? Looking at my old cars, online history is available from 2005 but the first one shown for this car is June 2016. Coincidentally (?) the last logbook was also issued in 2016:

View attachment 149515

View attachment 149517
Seems to be a straightforward import into the UK in 2016. Flagpole points towards a diplomatic history. Japan's possible, but could be others....

This is the crest on the no plate if anyone knows their heraldry.
VIN is WDB1260392A285757 if that helps at all.

H+H link

Attachments

• 560sel.jpg
    560sel.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 12
It was taxed in the UK back in 2003 so likely not a recent import.

To me I wouldn’t read too much into stuff like the flag pole. It doesn’t seem like a very authentic/original car to me - red brake calipers, aftermarket rear lights, tints, poor bodywork/paint, cheesy number plates etc. It has a Mercedes-Benz club sticker though so would have thought that would be a good place to start with any enquiries as to its past? :thumb:

IMG_8311.jpeg

It’s entirely possible it was off the road for quite a while say from 2003 to 2016 :thumb:

Never been a massive fan of that interior in all honesty, but it's period correct and matches the paint quite nicely.

560SELs in general are really quite tough to come across, not seen a nice one up in a long time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom