560SEL to swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slav4o1

I have a 560SEL 1989 fully speced , FULL service history i am the fourth owner bought is a week ago but I am really looking for a SEC.
beige perfect leather electric with memory,air bag, and many more. 113k last MOT expired early 2007 since then it is still on 113k. no tax, it has been standing for a while ( i assume since 06 as the last tax disc is in the car)

Looking to swap for a SEC if anyone is really interested i will put up photos thank you

Last edited:
Not wishing to be rude slav4o1, but why buy a 560SEL, which has no MOT and Tax, and then try and swap it for an SEC?

Why not buy an SEC at the beginning.

Or get the SEL taxed and MOT'd, and then try and make a few quid on it.

As above really?

You have had it a week.

No MOT or Tax

Very odd

Your best bet may to to flea bay it as people may buy it to break?

Any idea what it fialed the MOT for? Without an MOT its worth very very little.

Yes, I have to agree with gbjep, a 560sel that hasn't been used for nearly a year is not worth very much. I had a 1990 in very good nick with mot and tax and I struggled to get a grand for it after much haggling.

I would be interested in knowing how much you paid, because no offence but I've seen them go for as little as 275 and I'm not joking! I really hope you haven't beem ripped-off?
Looking at current trends, I would say a sec is about 5000-7000. I'm will stand corrected if mistaken.

Cheers, Bill.

Perhaps this is the new Merc for you Bill? :D

I was waiting for someone to say that....... Maybe if it had a years MOT & some Tax........ And if he liked Celicas' :devil:

Oh, forgot to mention my Celica has just sailed through its MOT..... :bannana:

PS. I see yo got your Coupe eventually???? Nice.

Last edited:
right, i always wanted a SEC but bought this for a very good price :) , and the fact that has full history , all 3 keys are there the manual , even the original becker mexico radio + its manual . the car didnt fail MOT it just wasnt driven since june 2006, mot expired in 2007 (when the mot was done car had 113k now it is still on 113k , all springs are gone looks well lowered. :)
my idea offcourse is to restore this machine in the near future and i am not asking for a good sec i just want one in similar condition. now there aren't many SECs for good price on ebay but last year i missed one that went for 600£ black 560. and on top my SEL is 560 which I think they are most valuable.
I am considering getting the mot done and tax and then selling but i might not bother for the moment . i will be letting you know when i start the restoration :) will not be soon hopefully next summer.
thanks for the attention

PS. I see yo got your Coupe eventually???? Nice.

Yep , do you recognise it ? ;)

Slavo , an SEC that costs £600 is going to be a proper money pit :crazy:

You will need to spend a lot more than that to get even a half decent one ..

You'll struggle to sell a 560SEL with no MOT and springs that have gone . No one wants the big SELs , everyone wants the big SECs.

Sorry.

Last edited:
Tis true, i been looking at the big 560s sec and sel to nick the engine and box out of for my lowrider (cant be doing with a puny 4 pot engine) and even tidy good runners are easy to buy for well under 500 with no test on em, people are frightened of them cos of the mopney pit they can turn into, even collecting them can be hard work cos they are to heavy for most trailers and small recovery trucks.

i got my eyes on a tatty sec at the mo thats 250 quid.

Anyone unsure why we stopped replies to Classifieds? :D

No :)........ but its a shame as I'd like to ask folk who advertize without a selling price and keep bumping the listing.........How soon are you expecting a sale ?

ok the car isnt for sale, i just got it for a very good price and i am looking for a sec in similar condition to swap (+ cash from me obviously) maybe if not obviously i will keep it. but this is a forum for mb enthusiasts so i doubt someone will have a merc that hasnt been running for a bit of time.

Personally Graham I see no problem with constructive criticism, as a lot of the time it gives the prospective seller, etc. a good idea of the market especially if new to Mercedes.

Slav mentions that the springs have gone, on a lot of SEL's it has Hydroneumatic Suspension, like mine was, so if it's flat Slav, there is a Pull Knob next to the light switch which controls the suspension. In the 'IN' position the suspension should be in the standard position, if you pull the knob ALL the way out it should raise the suspension, which is normally used over rough terrain. In the 'MID' position it locks the suspension, which should be done when jacking up the car etc. What I'm saying is, is that the suspension might have gone flat by standing for so long, which it does over long periods of no-use, so if you have this type of suspension, which I'm presuming you have, with the engine running, pull the knob all the way out and see what happens, if it does raise all the way, that's good, if not, major problems I'm afraid. After it has gone all the way up, push the knob back in and it should settle into the normal position.

Cheers, Bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom