57 E320CDI - FULL AMG BODYKIT - what is that?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stocho

Hi,

Looking at about 8 year old W211, black, E320CDI saloon. At the higher end of prices there is a "FULL AMG BODYKIT" car. It is a high spec car as also has memory seats and panoramic roof. 9K and it has been on sale for quite some time despite the high specs:
Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.0CDI E320 CDI Sport 4dr 7G-Tronic

Is "FULL AMG BODYKIT" a user modification that has to b declared to insurers or is it a factory mod and if so does it have to be declared as a modification?

Are such cars much more expensive to maintain compared to standard Avantgarde cars?

Is clearance of these lower than on Avantgarde and if so by how much?

Any other advice on the car?

Also there is one low mileage Low Spec car that has been on sale for months as priced at 9K depsite no extras to speak of. Ok, it is low mileage and looks clean but at 9K is it just too expensive as it is a complete oppositive of "fully loaded".

Also should I be worried about buying card that have been on sale (and hence most likely out of use) for months as from personal experience and from what I heard not using a car like E class for months is actually bad for the car as it starts to rust, oil, fluids starts to form deposits etc. Is there an informed view on this or is this misconception?

Mercedes-Benz E Class 3.0CDI E320 CDI Avantgarde 4dr 7G-Tronic

That AMG will have been done when the car was built so you don't need to let your insurer know.

The only real difference between that car and an Avantgarde is the alloy size and the suspension will be slightly stiffer.

I'd prefer to buy a W211 that's being used at least a few times a week, I can't think of one Mercedes that likes to be stood, unless its in a museum of course.

On the first one, I would check the wheels are not cracked on the inside rim if you are interested...

I use mine week-daily, it is galvanised and it has rust!

Mine was stood around for a fair while before I bought it but within a few months, it was definitely more 'fluid' to drive than it was to start with.

The first one has "Oil Leak" advisory in 2012... not repeated in the next two MOTs but still worrying....

The most recent MOT has:
Nearside front tyre wearing on inner shoulder
Offside front tyre wearing on inner shoulder

How serious are these?

On the first one, I would check the wheels are not cracked on the inside rim if you are interested...

I use mine week-daily, it is galvanised and it has rust!

Mine was stood around for a fair while before I bought it but within a few months, it was definitely more 'fluid' to drive than it was to start with.

Would I have to take each wheel of to check that?

I do not like the idea of 18" wheels anyway, would I be able to put standard 17" and even 16" pre-facelift wheels onto this one or do they come with larger breaks callipers that require larger wheels?

Inner wear on the tyres points at worn bushes on the front suspension - very common on the 211. Not too expensive but bank on £100 - £200 per side depending what needs done.

If the car has a kit, even factory, tell your insurance company. Most companies require you to declare any optional extras - some will cost nothing, some might load the insurance by 50% or so. Not telling them at all gives them wiggle room in the event of a crash!

As long as the brakes haven't been upgraded (which is unlikely), you can fit 16's or 17's. I have experience with 16's, 17's and 18's on these cars - 18's tramline (but look great), 16's look a bit small, and 17's are a nice compromise which don't harm the ride.

If the car has a kit, even factory, tell your insurance company. Most companies require you to declare any optional extras - some will cost nothing, some might load the insurance by 50% or so. Not telling them at all gives them wiggle room in the event of a crash!

That is something I will need to think a lot about. As if it is true that every optional extra has to be declared than this car is just not insurable (at any reasonable price) like most "fully loaded" cars as you would need to declare half a dozen extras.

And while it might be true that with most insurers a speeding conviction / modification / past accidents will not increase cost by much, some will just refuse to quote. I have tried it with price comparison sites a lot. First enter for a clean quote: one driver in nice post code, no points no accidents. Then start amending the quote. Price often sky-rockets but not so much because insurers increase prices but because the cheapest ones refuse to quote altogether and you are left with the most expensive ones who might not have increased their price by too much but were extremely expensive to start with.

Being overly forthcoming with insurers to cover your bottom does not pay . Try declaring winter tyres through price comparison sites (that should not increase premiums and insurers would find hard to punish you for not declaring winter tyres) and see what happens to quotes. It does pay to know what absolutely has to be declared and what does not have to be. Insurers will use any opportunity to sky-rocket prices and if you tell them something that you did not have to (like declaring alloys on car that comes with alloys as standard) they usually will still increase the price.

I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the options on this car - unlikely to increase any premiums. The bodykit and wheels however are pretty obvious. Some companies as you say won't quote. Some will load the premium to cover the xtra cost of repair / increased risk of theft. Some won't charge any extra at all.

It's your risk if you don't declare so do what you feel necessary.

PS - just noticed Pano roof. Some companies cover this under "Windscreen cover", some under the standard cover while some won't cover it all. Again, pays to shop about.

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry too much about the rest of the options on this car - unlikely to increase any premiums. The bodykit and wheels however are pretty obvious. Some companies as you say won't quote. Some will load the premium to cover the xtra cost of repair / increased risk of theft. Some won't charge any extra at all.

It's your risk if you don't declare so do what you feel necessary.

PS - just noticed Pano roof. Some companies cover this under "Windscreen cover", some under the standard cover while some won't cover it all. Again, pays to shop about.

As insuring car with options is not just about this car - applies to almost any car I started a separate topic.
http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/gene...ted-optional-extras-you-sure-you-insured.html

With regard to Panoramic Roof why would I bother about it being covered? Insurance is not going to cover leaks / other faults. Is it likely to be targeted by vandals?

Should the car be involved in an accident that would damage the roof the car is likely to be a write off anyway and the presence of the roof would not affect the settlement amount much. In any case in such an outcome I would be waried much more about my life and health.

Would I have to take each wheel of to check that?

I do not like the idea of 18" wheels anyway, would I be able to put standard 17" and even 16" pre-facelift wheels onto this one or do they come with larger breaks callipers that require larger wheels?

They look like AMG IIIs which are 19" if they are. You could either take the wheels off, or get it up on a 4 pillar lift, or certainly with the fronts inspect with full lock. It's around £50 / £60 to weld the crack, and whilst there isn't an issue with safety for a smaller rim crack, it will lose air if it is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom