57reg S211 E63 in black on the bay

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Slower off the line, though. Now if only all that noise was torque...

M156 more suited to the C and CLK IMO, in W211 and W219 it needs to be driven hard due to the lack of low down torque...

As for the sound, I do prefer my car ;)

We should send all the m156 to the scrap heap. That engine is not worth tuppence :confused::D.

What are the 0 to 60 difference times is the 55k like 1 point of a point quicker 4.3 to the 4.5 of the 63. Wow the 6.2 isn't very well liked or thought of, on this forum.

We should send all the m156 to the scrap heap. That engine is not worth tuppence :confused::D.

What are the 0 to 60 difference times is the 55k like 1 point of a point quicker 4.3 to the 4.5 of the 63. Wow the 6.2 isn't very well liked or thought of, on this forum.

Theres a few rules on this forum. E55 engine is the best and nothing afterwards comes close. Never ever buy a car with ABC. Quite like my SL63

Like it really makes so much of a difference on public roads anyway :dk:.

She could be great in bed :banana:depends what floats it doesn't it :thumb:

"By George, he's got it; I think he's got it..." :D

If you recall, this particular line of discussion started because you ventured that in your opinion the n/a 6.2 received too much bad press and the M113K was not as good as it was cracked up to be. I pointed out that most forum members would disagree with both opinions.

It's not that the M156 is not a good engine, just that the M113 in all its variants is one of the most reliable engines MB has ever made, and most people seem to prefer low-down torque to high-rev power. I know I do, which is why I bought my W212 5.5 biturbo; I'd not have had it if it had the 6.2 n/a.

We can all agree that the stock exhaust on the 6.2 n/a is louder than on the 113K, though. Whether it's better is a matter of opinion.
She could be great in bed :banana:depends what floats it doesn't it :thumb:

I can't get an image out of my head...
upload_2019-5-3_22-56-30-jpeg.85783

Last edited:
Am I the only one who feels this age old 113K/156/157 debate thing has been done to death :D

They’re all good engines. I’ve owned 113s in both regular and AMG guise, also both NA and S/C, and struggle to find a bad word to say about them. Likewise the 156, superb character and fantastic soundtrack (not how loud it it, it just sounds better - and superior to the 157 in both of those respects too)

If I was looking for a 211, everything else being equal I’d probably pick a ‘55K. Not just because of the engine, but the tax is £200+ lower PA and you get the smooth 5-speed box and SBC brakes. I also slightly prefer the styling, wheels and seats of the older model - might just be me though. Discs and pads are a fair bit cheaper too, but it’s all swings and roundabouts really. The 212 you don’t have that choice - 156 or 157 only and 7G box. I would buy on mileage/spec/condition though over nitpicking between pros/cons/potential issues with every powerplant.

Remember, one of the main reasons the 156 was replaced with the smaller biturbo engine was for fuel efficiency. As we move towards smaller engines and hybrids, engines like that 6208cc lump will never be seen again. I’m glad I got to own one :cool:

In summary, just buy what you like, but unless you’ve spent a decent bit of time behind the wheel in each don’t be too quick to pass judgement either! :)

I'd consider a 156 for the sound track but nothing else.

Everyday driving is superb in a forced induction engine (of a certain size - I can't comment on anything smaller than a 4.7).

I agree the M113K is right up there with the very best.

Yeah I sit in it constantly reving it up to 7,200 rpm to remind myself it sounds better than the 55k and can rev to higher at rpm idle and in motion :thumb:

My 55K revs to 7000 rpm at idle. Pushing down the clutch allows for that to happen in motion. Sounds good too.

When I needed a second car, I too skipped the M156-M157 malarky and went “back” to M275. It’s got 12 cylinders and two turbos but it’s still not a patch on the M113K. You shouldn’t have sold yours.

My mind was made up when my e55k saloon made a m156 c63 look like it was going backwards after a certain speed :rolleyes: that c63 was apparently 530hp, seemed standard fro m where I was sitting. The pull of a tuned e55k is relentless just seems to get quicker and quicker.

My vote is M113k and a 211 E55k all day long or a 212 E63 if not. Don't see the point of the 211 E63.

Ultimately it’s no surprise that the M113K is more reliable than the M156. It’s a lazier engine than the M156, and so doesn’t work so hard to deliver the performance, and as a result is under less stress more of the time. The naturally aspirated versions even more so, and deserve their reputation as being the least expensive AMG V8 to run.

Personally I love them all, the M113/K, M156, and M157 as mentioned in this thread. I love the the M178 too. With the exception of the M112K, I have driven - but never owned - cars with the I4, V6 and V12 engines, and I really really liked them too, but never enough to buy one. So I am definitely an AMG fanboi, but it’s the AMG V8 that really does it for me.

The car I choose to drive almost every day has the M156, and I possibly - no probably - love that most of all. Whilst the low-down-grunt-lovers say the M156 is wanting for torque, I have to say that I have never found that, despite having to shift the biggest, bluffest and heaviest body of all M156 equipped cars, and including “making progress” and towing heavy loads.

Vive la difference!

You shouldn’t have sold yours.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes I should the 63 156 is doing the trick just fine for me. 55 was fun but I'm actually enjoying the N/A 6.2 very much :thumb:

My mind was made up when my e55k saloon made a m156 c63 look like it was going backwards after a certain speed :rolleyes: that c63 was apparently 530hp, seemed standard fro m where I was sitting. The pull of a tuned e55k is relentless just seems to get quicker and quicker.

I'm finding this hard to believe to be honest :dk:

Depends what tune the E55K is running. My 5.5 Biturbo (550 hp Performance Pack option) makes a stock E55K feel slow, but they can be tuned to pretty high power outputs quite easily and cheaply.

In the real world, no M113K, M156 or M157 is going to be disappointing in the performance stakes. Between the 113 and 156 it's more a matter of what sort of power delivery you prefer - sledgehammer low-down torque or high rev sound and fury. The M157 has both... :devil:

I agree with 350cls, the 6.2 N/A engine sounds better (and the car overall looks better).

Oh well... I could only budget for a E55k back in 2013, both great cars either way.

On another note, anyone hate the pre-facelift wing mirror design (I never liked them)? I have just recently retrofitted some facelift wing mirrors, the car looks so much better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom