5exy leadwork.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Last edited:
I try very hard not to look back and think "I wish............" - I've been been successful in what I chose to do. But now and again I look at something like this and do indeed think "I wish I'd learnt how to do things like this!" So admire tradesmen. Bravo
Im the same. My Grandads (and Dads, Uncles) family business was plumbing. They used to do lead work as well. My Dad is quite artistic and used to love the opportunity to work with lead. However i was told i must go to Uni. I wasn't told to be honest, more encouraged. I was the first of our family ever to go to Uni. Same though - ive done pretty well for myself and can't complain at all (I'm a geologist of sorts working in oil and gas/CCUS/New Energies). Honestly though my interest is really working with my hands, and a bit of my brain. So my hobbies (apart from fitness) always seem to involve restoring things, fixing things, building things etc. For sure i feel a greater sense of achievement with that, rather than my day job efforts!

This pool roof has recently been completed by my ex business partner and 2 fellas we had working for us as teenagers in the mid- nineties.

It’s in Kensington and as flat roofs go it’s pretty much as good as it gets.
View attachment 118092
Can you explain to the layman what's going on there. Why the raised section on the right, are the angles for decoration and have a slight pitch for drainage?? It looks fab but also overly complicated... Was it done that way simply because they could? Would love to understand more

The raised section is a ventilation detail. Probably because it’s a pool roof.

The roof is split into bays which are connected together with a joint using wood roll. This is to allow for expansion and contraction.
The bays can only be a certain size and the bigger the bay, the thicker gauge lead. The large bays on this roof are in Code 8. You really don’t want to muck about with Code 8 lead because it’s very thick, hard to work and bloody heavy. We use a blow lamp to heat it up to get it moving.

The entire substrate is designed with falls to let the rainwater drain away be it into the box gutters you can see or off the sides into a cast iron gutter.

Big flat roofs like these are cleverly designed so that the sizes of the lead bays are kept to a specific dimension. When it’s done correctly you have a perfect roof. This roof in particular will last a century with the only maintenance being an annual sweep out of any leaves in the gutters.

And it looks the nuts as well. 😉

The raised section is a ventilation detail. Probably because it’s a pool roof.

The roof is split into bays which are connected together with a joint using wood roll. This is to allow for expansion and contraction.
The bays can only be a certain size and the bigger the bay, the thicker gauge lead. The large bays on this roof are in Code 8. You really don’t want to muck about with Code 8 lead because it’s very thick, hard to work and bloody heavy. We use a blow lamp to heat it up to get it moving.

The entire substrate is designed with falls to let the rainwater drain away be it into the box gutters you can see or off the sides into a cast iron gutter.

Big flat roofs like these are cleverly designed so that the sizes of the lead bays are kept to a specific dimension. When it’s done correctly you have a perfect roof. This roof in particular will last a century with the only maintenance being an annual sweep out of any leaves in the gutters.

And it looks the nuts as well. 😉
Thanks for the explanation, much appreciated.

Also, what would that have cost approx per sq mtr?

This thread brings back memories of my first job in an office. In the late 70’s the company was working on ,at the time, the biggest lead lining contract in Europe on the Eldon Square shopping complex in Newcastle. One of the plumbers actually won an award for his workmanship.
I remember the scrap man who had an arrangement with us, he looked like he’d never been washed but drove a new S class and always brought sweets etc when he visited the office, no wonder all the off cuttings he got.
At the time union regs stated that anyone working with lead could claim the price of a pint of milk a day as a health supplement for working with the stuff

This thread brings back memories of my first job in an office. In the late 70’s the company was working on ,at the time, the biggest lead lining contract in Europe on the Eldon Square shopping complex in Newcastle. One of the plumbers actually won an award for his workmanship.
I remember the scrap man who had an arrangement with us, he looked like he’d never been washed but drove a new S class and always brought sweets etc when he visited the office, no wonder all the off cuttings he got.
At the time union regs stated that anyone working with lead could claim the price of a pint of milk a day as a health supplement for working with the stuff
Love a bit of scrap on a Friday afternoon.

We did a roof on the house of a member of the Sainsbury family near Oxford and I recall finding a massive scrapyard there with its own weighbridge. Paid for my Marlboros and diesel for the entire project.

Looks fantastic 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom