5th Gear article - DVLA providing names and addresses?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
I saw an article on 5th Gear last night that suggested that for a modest £2.50 and completion of a form, it was possible to get the name and address of the Registered Keeper of a car, just from the number plate.

Is this really true?

The article stated that the interested party had to have a legitimate interest. The parties in question were privateer car park operators and the like..............................

What are people's views on this?

I certainly had no idea. Puts a different perspective on my recent post about why people mask their number plate in picture postings of their cars. You might also want to be careful if you entertain a little "road rage/frustration" from time to time as it may follow you home!

Marc

I suspect (hope) the DVLA would only give the details to registered companies rather than to the general public, but who knows?
Are you a Company of one ?

I wasn't very happy about the detail of the story.
There was a sign stating "drop off area". Was that round the corner from where cars were being filmed?
Also the signs were far too small to be read by passing drivers.

And another thing, I believe that for a road to remain PRIVATE it must be closed for at least a 24 hour period once a year. If this does not happen it will loose it's private status. I saw no sign of barriers for this purpose.

I got the impression that the Lawyer seemed to think a TEST CASE would be needed.

I thought the crux of the point was they will give you the plate details if you have good reason... It does not mean you could not lie about the reason though! Presumably if someone asks for the plate though DVLA will have thier details on record ... if not this will be the last car I ever register :devil:

I know if you phone up DVLA stating that you are buying a car, and would like to check if the (supposed) seller is the correct owner, on completing the forms and paying the fee DVLA will release the registered name and address to you.

Maff said:
I know if you phone up DVLA stating that you are buying a car, and would like to check if the (supposed) seller is the correct owner, on completing the forms and paying the fee DVLA will release the registered name and address to you.

I would imagine it would make it very easy to clone a car now and have owner details at hand if stopped by the law on a roadside safety check.

PJH said:
I suspect (hope)
And another thing, I believe that for a road to remain PRIVATE it must be closed for at least a 24 hour period once a year. If this does not happen it will loose it's private status. I saw no sign of barriers for this purpose.

QUOTE]

The term Private road is any road not under the control of the local authority.
Any road with a sign unadopted falls into this category. Usually the residents own the road in such cases.

pluggers said:
I would imagine it would make it very easy to clone a car now and have owner details at hand if stopped by the law on a roadside safety check.

Now if only I could clone an SLR!! :D

Very very easy to get details of the owner... They will give it to anyone for the fee, just make up some silly excuse...

I never knew that and I find it a bit disconcerting.

There are SO many reasons why this is wrong.

i.e. Car booked in to be parked at the airport for 2 weeks - trace the address and hey presto - empty house.

lol, if only the dvla were that efficient, normally takes them two weeks just to receive the application...

Were still safe!

Ive heard the adverts for DVLA today giving a phone number to grass up owners who haven't taxed their cars,So much for the old adverts "you can hide your car anywhere and we will still find it!" £80 fine for been late on payment.

Also another good reason to mask your plates on your photos I think.

Alternatively, I am going to sell my merc and drive around in a batmobile, thereby eliminating any risk such a unique looking car being cloned.

I am such a genius it hurts!

Last edited:
hey, at least it's not as bad as the Swiss where everyone's plate and details are put into a public directory and everyone has access to it. Mind you, it probably reduces road rage incidents though.

Not sure I'm too worried about the "car in the airport carpark" issue - just becuase there is a car at the airport doesn't mean there aren't other people home.

Emm Im sure this is not is not legal. Data Protection Act???

I couldnt phone the water board and ask for the name of people who live at a certain house so why should you be able to get these details from a registration plate.

Im sure this must be for a legitimate registered business.

Doesnt sound good. If this is a case why have a registration plate you might as well just stick you birth certificate in the window.

Check the following link:

DVLA Info Release

Says that they are permitted by the DVLA to do so, on payment of a fee and with sufficient reason given.

Doesn't sound that good to me..........could think up any number of "sufficient" reasons to ask for the info and use for the wrong purposes.

Mr E

Dont like that at all. We might as well all have electronic tags fitted to us now. What is the point of a data protection act??

I followed Mr E's link and have cut and pasted the following extract from the DVLA website- and I really don't like it!

Reasons for release of vehicle register information

Regulations provide for the release of information to the police, to local authorities to enforce parking restrictions and to anyone who can demonstrate 'reasonable cause'. DVLA is also registered under the Data Protection Act to release information to other government departments for scientific, technical, health, social and economic research or statistical analysis. Other bodies have powers that require DVLA to release data.

This means that information will sometimes be lawfully made available for a variety of purposes, including:

To anyone who can demonstrate reasonable cause, including insurance companies, finance houses and the public.

Release of another vehicle’s keeper details

You can obtain the name and address of the registered keeper of a vehicle if you can show reasonable cause for needing the information.

Members of the public will need to complete form V888. Companies should complete form VQ3 , or apply in writing (both forms are available from DVLA). You should include a fee of £2.50, the vehicle registration number of the vehicle you are requesting information on, full reason for your request and the date of event.

Send your application to: Vehicle Record Enquiries, Vehicle Customer Services, DVLA, Swansea SA99 1AJ.

Interesting.................................

I for one will now register my vehicles at someone else's address. Thereby my vehicle(s) and I will very very rarely be there. I know when the insurance renewals and road taxes are due so i'll collect the post around those times!

Nothing surpises me with this government anymore.

I may be talking a load of b0ll0x but in my opinion DVLA are breaching our rights under the DPA.

Essentially the Act includes several principals that amount, in effect, to the right to have your personal data handled in a responsible manner - passing your name and address on to the herbert that you've just cut up in Tescos car park for the princely sum of £2.50 is hardly responsible!

One of these principals surely has to be the right to have your data collected in a reasonable manner (OK, we don't deny that we have to let DVLA know who owns what car; Police, Tax, Congestion charging etc etc), the collection of that data assumes you are giving your consent for it to be used solely for the purpose it is collected. They [DVLA] must not share it with any third parties.

DVLA being a Government body can clearly share the data with other Government agencies but surely not private organisations or the public.

I reckon that if taken to task DVLA would/should be held in breach of the Data Protection Act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom