5th Gear last night

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Maybe, just maybe in the future someone will produce a motoring programme that is about cars and not about the presenters.:rolleyes:
Wouldn't that be lovely. And aimed at motorists not schoolboys and the general public.

All road-tests should be on the public highway -where we have to drive- and they might then just be relevant to real life.

Wouldn't that be lovely. And aimed at motorists not schoolboys and the general public.

All road-tests should be on the public highway -where we have to drive- and they might then just be relevant to real life.

Spot on Hawk - whilst it might be fun to see cars thrashed on the track they ought to have real world situations too. I hate it when manufacturers bleat on about developing cars at the Nurburgring. That does not make a good car.

I don't agree, I went to buy an E66 last year and ended up with W220, the W220 was £1,000 more but a much better car, the guy was selling both and left us with the keys for a couple of hours to decide, E66 felt tinny and not as solid,

Alan

hmmm, i tried both aswell and ended up with an E65. The S was very plasticiky in places and the technology in the 7 series was superb. I do agree that a top spec S vs a top spec 7 it would be a close call, but i think the 7 still gets it.

my 7 was certainly not tinny and felt as solid as rock. Its the details like the idrive control controlling everything, steering column shifter, auto parking brake, and the dynamic drive and suspension features my car had made it handle like a car half its size. Its build quality was way better than the mercs, although it did have several areas that could be improved.

all IMHO of course! Its not the best forum to big up a BMW on :D

i would buy a 221 over a E65 7 series definatly as it moves the game on further. i would have to see the new 7 in the flesh before making a decision but i suspect the S will still have it as i think BMW have taken a bit of a backwards step this time which is a shame.

Correct - the Phantom saloon had them and the camera is mounted under the front number plate, not in the wings like the 7. It does help in the RR as the bonnet is huge!

A lot more subtle than the one's on the wing. Split screen on the heads up display. But they do use the old BMW sat nav technology though.

I know the bonnets are huge, took 3 of us a whole day to valet 8 of them, but that was to top level.

The 2 cars i drove for the press launch photographs

Picture021.jpg

one of the press shots
Picture299.jpg

Do you use baby oil to clean the stainless panels like I do in my kitchen?

Spital works best, it was a bit of a knack though. Where one of the statics was parked a sprinkler went off, soaking the car. The bonnet stained and took a good 1/2 hour to clean.

Saw a drophead just like that with one very misaligned headlight on the M6 this afternoon.

A bit surprising.
What a grotesque flash-harry look-at-me aren't-I-rich heap. Yuk a thousand times yuk.

And how graceful they used to be.

Attachments

• 07rollssilver.jpg
    07rollssilver.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 33
What a grotesque flash-harry look-at-me aren't-I-rich heap. Yuk a thousand times yuk.

Really do agree with you Hawk. Current line-up look like the winners in an ugly contest.

As Penny Smith once said on GMTV. It costs a fortune to look this bad. She was refering to her clothes, Penny is lovely. :bannana:

x2. I found the gaming geek kid using the iDrive test (old vs new) a bit silly. I would have wanted to know more about the car, than some lads gaming hobby.

A contrived challenge (TG springs to mind like how fast is a RS4 vs a mountain climber entertainging) but not very informative. A S320cdi comparison car where they demonstrated which was better, and why, would have been more useful.

information is so easy to find out these days online that theres no point car programs just concentrating on facts, i want to be entertained when sitting looking at the telly, any facts they provide i'd want to back up myslef if i was spending money on a car anyway.

Cant imagine a more boring program than one filled with normal road tests on normal roads and normal driving and full of anoraky details about the cars.

I know someone who's got one of these..just like that, it really is nice. But I don't think he'd drive it as his everyday car..it's taken years to get him into a VW Golf from his old Renault van..:D

I don't think he'd fancy a new RR, a bit bling for carting stuff around in.

information is so easy to find out these days online that theres no point car programs just concentrating on facts, i want to be entertained when sitting looking at the telly

True, but there are ways of making entertaining but informative TV.
Top Gear has a happy but silly blend but 5th gear is pretty dull and uninformative.
Tiff and Jason really are pathetic, they just waste time thrashing around and provide nothing. Get rid of Tiff and have Plato doing proper performance and in particular handling tests.
That would have real world usefulness.

information is so easy to find out these days online that theres no point car programs just concentrating on facts, i want to be entertained when sitting looking at the telly, any facts they provide i'd want to back up myslef if i was spending money on a car anyway.

Cant imagine a more boring program than one filled with normal road tests on normal roads and normal driving and full of anoraky details about the cars.
Wouldn't it be nice to have the choice for a change. TG for mass entertainment and a proper motoring programme as well for those who like that sort of thing. And road tests in the real world. Airfields and all ex rally drivers banned.

It's so bad, I don't even bother downloading it anymore. Sad really, as I'd love another show of TG quality in competition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom