6 months old and the drivers seat has worn through...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MarriedBlonde

Car
C63 AMG Coupe/ML350 Cdi Sport/69 vw Bus
Only had my e-class convertable for 6 months and already the seats got a hole through it.

Noticed that there was a lot of tiny pieces of fluff down the side of the drivers seat. After a bit of looking around the seats has a hole in it on the cloth part of the bolster. Basically underneath the bolster, the part that obviously rubs against the seat base plastic...

Brilliant.

My ML's done 50K miles and seats look like new...

What have you been up to in the car?! :thumb: joking aside... I'd take it back and say you want the seat replacing, wear and tear is fair enough if the car has done a very high mileage and is a few years old but 6 months old is not right.

Weighing in at a rather hefty 9.5 stone you can imagine the amount of stick I have been getting from mates over the wear on the seat :) (I'd like to add that is due to me spending far too much time in the gym and not from just eating too many pies...)

It'll be interesting to see what Mercedes say, the cars not that old and I don't consider it to be fair wear and tear. Aren't Mercs designed for fat old business men to drive around in :)

I've been called by my local dealers after sales manager to discuss the issued I had with my car being damaged when it went in for a new drivers door glass so I will bring it up with him.

Watch this space.

J.

Could really be a practical reason why it has...

Constant rubbing of particular garments with sharp/rough embroidery getting in and out for six months?

The bolsters always get the slack, its like you have to master getting out of the car without rubbing on it! I know i try not to shave it.

Could really be a practical reason why it has...

Constant rubbing of particular garments with sharp/rough embroidery getting in and out for six months?

The bolsters always get the slack, its like you have to master getting out of the car without rubbing on it! I know i try not to shave it.

Fortunately whilst it is on the outer bolster that takes the most stress and strain, it is on the underside part (on the e-class convertable, and I assume the coupe) the leater stops and the final part of the seat facing that attaches to the seat is made form cloth. It is this part that has a small hole in it. Nothing can come into contact with it getting in and out. It is just a case that it has rubbed against the seat base.

If it wasn't for the tiny bits of foam, and I mean tiny, that were on the carpet I wouldn't have noticed, or looked for, the hole.

It might be a case of a picture speaking a thousands words so I will try to get a pic tonight to help illustrate what I trying to explain...

J.

Last edited:
All leather covered seats have the cloth 'undersides', this is to prevent squeaks and creaks!

I would check to see if there is a sharp moulding been left on the seat frame/trim. But at just 6mths it's a job for MB to sort..

All leather covered seats have the cloth 'undersides', this is to prevent squeaks and creaks!

None of mine have cloth bits at the edges !

The leather wraps all the way under the seat frame to the point where it wraps around a piece of stiff card which is tucked into a lip in the underside of the frame .

Having changed a fair few seat covers around between different cars and replaced bases with broken springs I know the construction of various MB seats fairly well .

There is a fabric covering over the horse hair stuffing to keep it all together .

Covers with heater pads or orthopaedic bladders do also have fabric layers in between the leather and other parts .

Perhaps I should have said all leather seats, except those owned/worked on by Derek :doh: :D What's with horse-hair stuffing!! :eek:

Seriously though, is this cloth addition just on the modern MBs with foam seat pad? The cloth part appears to hold the cord that is used to tension the cover.

this is to prevent squeaks

Would there be a mouse in the house??
having a crafty chew??
Check for teeth marks and mouse droppings ??
Dont laugh, I found mice in an old Triumph I bought at auction many many moons ago.

Perhaps I should have said all leather seats, except those owned/worked on by Derek :doh: :D What's with horse-hair stuffing!! :eek:

Seriously though, is this cloth addition just on the modern MBs with foam seat pad? The cloth part appears to hold the cord that is used to tension the cover.

The cloth must be recent cost cutting as my car is leather all the way.

The pad isn't chevaux, it's coconut fibre.

having a crafty chew??
Dont laugh, I found mice in an old Triumph I bought at auction many many moons ago.

And a mouse ate all the insulation of the electronic suspension control wiring in my business partner's SL55 !!! Could have caused the suspension to collapse whilst driving on a motorway - not good !!!

Richard

Mines got 170,000 miles on it and the seats look and feel almost new....:D

having a crafty chew??

A timely reminder, toolman, thanks, :thumb: Just put my SL into winter hibernation with a couple of mouse traps in the engine bay & underneath :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom