6 months with an SLK

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
:p :D

Cheers,

Gaz

I took an alternative view and did it by allowing someone else to own the car before me ;). OK, mine was 4 years old when I bought it, but at 11K miles, barely run in. Just about to turn over 16K...

Cheers,

Gaz

Will you just stop it, now. I have two V6's to feed and water, and you make another two cylinders sound so reasonable:)

Another year passes. The SLK is now 5 years old. Another MOT, straight pass.

Get in, drive, smile. Nothing has broken, fallen off or caused concern. Still 25MPG, no rust, no problems.

Received only the recommended annual servicing, with 1 set replacement front tyres and two rear sets plus windscreen washer fluid. No engine oil used.

What more could one expect?*

*Answer! I tried to buy a C63, brand new and shiny, and failed.

Another year passes, and the SLK gets very near to 6 years old.

Just been MOTd, passed again, no advisories. Also serviced, again within the MB network, noting the brakes (pads and disks both front and rear) will need replacing next year.

So lets look at 6 years of SLK 350 ownership from new to now. 27,000 miles so far, most Cumbrian B roads and fairly short journeys. Fairly hard usage.

Breakdowns, none. Nothing has broken or failed. Routine servicing only, no oil has been topped up. Each service has been 2 to 3 hours on a Saturday morning (Drop the car of first thing, walk to Ulverston, get nice breakfast, read paper, cup of coffee, walk back collect car and home.). Painless, and not unduly pricey given the service.

Brilliant car, performance effortless and smooth, 25MPG and remarkable build quality. 6 years old, and still as good as new. Really as good as new, every last thing works properly, doesn't rattle or feel worn.

Near supercar performance, with the running costs of a Mondeo and the reliability of a Toyota pick up.

The longer I keep this car the more I like it.:thumb:

Another year passes, and the SLK gets very near to 6 years old.

27,000 miles so far, most Cumbrian B roads and fairly short journeys. Fairly hard usage.

My E class estate is just about to clock 28000 - it is 1 year and 6 weeks old. I have done 25k miles since Feb in it. That's fairly hard usage... ;)

I would love an SLK as our second car but the wife wont swap her Mini...

KR
Ian

My E class estate is just about to clock 28000 - it is 1 year and 6 weeks old. I have done 25k miles since Feb in it. That's fairly hard usage... ;)

I would love an SLK as our second car but the wife wont swap her Mini...

KR
Ian

And did those 25k miles involve 50,000 corners, 60,000 potholes, 1,500 demented sheep, mostly Herdwicks and Cumbrians trying to negotiate roundabouts?

You don't know you're born, we have it tough:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtSw3daGoo

And did those 25k miles involve 50,000 corners, 60,000 potholes, 1,500 demented sheep, mostly Herdwicks and Cumbrians trying to negotiate roundabouts?

You don't know you're born, we have it tough:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAtSw3daGoo

Not many corners, but home is the ex mining areas of Derbyshire / the peak district so we have more than our share of potholes and sheep!

Not sure what type of sheep - they all look the same to me!

Ian

My trusty SLK 350 is now 7 years old. I really didn't expect I'd keep it this long, I usually get bored after a year or two!

This year had the first failure, the heater fan - at some point it had got water in the motor and failed. £240 and a couple of hours to replace.

Also the second failure, replacing the front disks and pads found the front callipers were badly corroded and required replacing. £650 for that.

That is the bad news :(

Good news is that otherwise it continues to perform with its usual panache, reliability and fun.

So, over 7 years, no breakdowns, £890 in non servicing repairs, 25MPG over 33,500 miles and it still looks and drives as it did when new.

Overall it has been a brilliant car. I'd have to give it 10 out of 10.:bannana:

My trusty SLK 350 is now 7 years old. I really didn't expect I'd keep it this long, I usually get bored after a year or two!

This year had the first failure, the heater fan - at some point it had got water in the motor and failed. £240 and a couple of hours to replace.

My not quite so trusty SLK350 suffered from a noisy fan motor and a duff 12v socket, the one in the passenger footwell. Then on a fairly fast series of corners my wife's feet got soaked by a sudden inrush of water.

The battery box drain hole had become blocked. I cleared it with a bit of wire, it only taking me about 3 hours - should have removed the battery, it would have been much quicker.

Returned the car to the dealer and he said that it was a 'common' fault. The drain hole should be cleared every service at least. Given that it had supposedly had a service before I bought the car some five weeks previously, he did not practice what he preached.

The water, on reaching a certain level, escaped through the inlet to the heater, dumping the water onto the heater fan. It then ran out into the passenger footwell directly over the oddly placed 12v outlet.

I had to have a new heater motor, including fan, and a new 12v outlet. It made me wonder what else might be damaged or quietly rusting away.

Overall it has been a brilliant car. I'd have to give it 10 out of 10.:bannana:
My wife's SLK350 has just turned 5 years old and has been a similarly great ownership experience. The only non-routine service item it has had was a rear control arm bush needing replacement last year at MOT time.

It's still great fun to drive, still looks great, and it's managed 26mpg average over it's 35,000 miles.

My not quite so trusty SLK350 suffered from a noisy fan motor and a duff 12v socket, the one in the passenger footwell. Then on a fairly fast series of corners my wife's feet got soaked by a sudden inrush of water.

The battery box drain hole had become blocked. I cleared it with a bit of wire, it only taking me about 3 hours - should have removed the battery, it would have been much quicker.

Returned the car to the dealer and he said that it was a 'common' fault. The drain hole should be cleared every service at least. Given that it had supposedly had a service before I bought the car some five weeks previously, he did not practice what he preached.

The water, on reaching a certain level, escaped through the inlet to the heater, dumping the water onto the heater fan. It then ran out into the passenger footwell directly over the oddly placed 12v outlet.

I had to have a new heater motor, including fan, and a new 12v outlet. It made me wonder what else might be damaged or quietly rusting away.

The blocked drain is a known problem, and as the car is usually parked under trees I've been diligent about unblocking the under battery drain and the two at the rear edges of the engine bay. Obviously not diligent enough:(

Based on my experience, that is a pretty good record for 7 years. Hope yours is as good.

Where are those photo's ???

After 7 and a bit years of ownership the SLK has gone. Retirement is looming, so the SLK had to go, it was really too expensive in terms of VED, tyres and petrol.

Sold to We Buy Any Car.com who to my complete surprise offered - and paid - me far more than part exchange or private buyers. Quick and painless.

The car has been a pleasure to own, and a credit to MB's improved build quality. When it went it was a tight as new, not a trace of rust, wear or bits failing to work.

Its the longest I've ever owned a car, and the first where parting with it has involved a real sense of regret.

So, farewell FV57CXB

I hape you provide your new owner with as much enjoyment as I.

Give me a bit of time:)

Never did get to see any photo's :fail :mad: ;)

Just seen the for sale section :doh: Great looking car and a very good price.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom