60mpg in a S500

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
^ An additional running cost to make your car appear like a 2 stroke moped.

You can't claim 45p per mile from HMRC, you can be paid a maximum tax free payment of 45p per mile.
If the rate paid for the total reimbursement of the car is less than 45p per mile you can only recover the tax difference between the two values.

removed Incorrect information - sorry :)

Last edited:
Thats exactly what I said he can claimi 45p - 28p = 17p back from HMRC for the first 10k business miles

It's isn't.
He can't claim an additional 17p, just the taxable difference, which at 40% is 6.8p.

This isn't just for fuel costs, it is for all payment linked to the total car running costs.

^ An additional running cost to make your car appear like a 2 stroke moped.

No different to putting additives into petrol for the same purpose or using Millers, the system on our Discovery is perfect you can't tell the difference between petrol and LPG other than in cost

It's isn't.
He can't claim an additional 17p, just the taxable difference, which at 40% is 6.8p.

This isn't just for fuel costs, it is for all payment linked to the total car running costs.

Sorry, you are quite correct I misread the HMRC notes and it wasn't until I saw the worked example I realised it was the tax rebate on the difference. Thank you for the correction :thumb:

Can you switch from petrol to gas? Or, better still, is it done automatically depending on conditions?

Can you switch from petrol to gas? Or, better still, is it done automatically depending on conditions?

Has to start on Petrol but switches to LPG as soon as predetermined settings are reached, from cold this is usually less than 2 miles does this automatically. You can switch from LPG to Petrol at anytime by the press of a switch and if the LPG runs out it automatically switches to Petrol

I'm intrigued about using LPG with a turbocharged petrol engine, I thought it was very difficult to do. Is there any literature anywhere on doing the conversion? (I have a 70s Bristol in mind, so carburettor rather than fuel injection).

I'm intrigued about using LPG with a turbocharged petrol engine, I thought it was very difficult to do. Is there any literature anywhere on doing the conversion? (I have a 70s Bristol in mind, so carburettor rather than fuel injection).

Modern turbo engines can be done no problem but not sure about older ones THIS might be a starting point for further info :dk:

Can I ask where you got it done?

I have an '04 S500 and am looking at getting it converted very soon, but don't want to risk the car, reliability os far more important than price.

THanks

I had my ML500 done by a company called Autogas Solutions in Corby Northamptonshire.

It took about a week to do, maybe quicker but I went away on holiday for a week whilst it was done.

They did a very good install and I was more than happy with how it all worked. The only downside was the smallish LPG tank as I kept having to fill up every 190-200 miles.
On average the car would do about 20mpg on regular unleaded but only 15-16 mpg using LPG.
There was no noticeable difference in performance however the best bit for me was filling up at my local Morrisons, I would have a small chuckle at a cost of £40.00

M

Each fill up put smile on my face too :)
By the way week to do long time,mine was done in a day

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom