61 plate W212 E250 7g plus- reliability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclass

Car
c class
Hi All

Close to buying a 61 plate W212 E250 (diesel) with the 7g plus gearbox, it will be MB approved used so will have full MB service history etc.

I'm happy with the car but the question was, is the engine reliable? I heard some of the 250 engines have been discontinued due to possible reliability concerns but cannot find much info.

Advice appreciated :)

Go for a 350cdi miles better imo! I have had a w212 250cdi but now have 350cdi e coupe..

Had that engine in an SLK for 3 years, 21000 miles, no problems to report. Now have the 250cdi in an E Cab, no problems so far.

There were well-reported issues a few years ago concerning the injectors, but I would like to think all sorted by now.

If you search this forum there was a (very) long-running thread. I can't recall the years of potentially affected cars, but it would have been something like 2010-2011. Possibly at the start of the Blue Efficiency.

I'm not aware that some engines were discontinued, although MB has just introduced a new diesel in its place.

However, no personal experience.

Early ones were noisy, easily tested for yourself.

Go for the 350 V6 its a lot smoother and quieter more refined around

Go for the 350 V6 its a lot smoother and quieter more refined around

Definitely concur. When we moved from a (4-cylinder) Audi a few years ago we considered a C250 but it felt like a bag of nails compared to the Audi (Merc was much better in most other respects though), so we went for a C350 instead and didn't regret it for a moment (subsequently replaced by the E equivalent).

Many thanks for the replies, I did read about the merits of the 350 however the extra MPG of the 250 will be useful for me, also I have test driven the 250 and refinement is not an issue once the engine is warmed up for me :)

I have pretty much agreed a deal for the 250, its only after this I came across a thread somewhere (which I can no longer locate!) which made me worry about the engine, the concencus here however seems to be theres no known reliability issues so thats good.

I have a 2012 face lift E250 cdi and have had no problems myself (47k on mine). The only thing i have read is that the pre-facelift ones had injectors issues. If you lift the engine cover and you have solenoid type Delphi injectors they are the upgraded ones so nothing to worry about.

http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/77050-blue-efficiency-injector-recall-84.html

Last edited:
Thank you, I've had a look and I think it looks ok, it does say Solenoid on the Delphi sticker, i've taken some pics of the various bits, does the below look ok? Will probably have to click the yellow bar and view image full screen to see the details..
0YiXwM7.jpg

Yes they are the updated ones, you should be fine then. Just from looking at that picture is the green wire ok, look as if it has been cut?

Many thanks for the replies, I did read about the merits of the 350 however the extra MPG of the 250 will be useful for me, also I have test driven the 250 and refinement is not an issue once the engine is warmed up for me :)

I have pretty much agreed a deal for the 250, its only after this I came across a thread somewhere (which I can no longer locate!) which made me worry about the engine, the concencus here however seems to be theres no known reliability issues so thats good.

Mine now has averaged 49mpg (accurately measured) since new. A good mix of long distance and short runs. Never been aware of a regeneration but it must have happened passively. Noise not a problem at all.

Yes they are the updated ones, you should be fine then. Just from looking at that picture is the green wire ok, look as if it has been cut?

Thank you for confirming, think only the wire covering has been cut for some reason.

350 is the one.

I've owned an E350cdi (w212,265bhp) and currently a C300h.The E350 was a great car,good mix of power/comfort/economy(averaged 37mpg in my 21/2 year ownership),I never thought I'd buy a 4 pot diesel until I test drove my c300, very smooth comfortable ride,averaged over 53 mpg in the week I've owned it,after the initial cold start the diesel doesn't kick in until the cars moving off so not clattery at all and zero road tax......

Thank you all for the replies and help, I've gone for a 2011 model E250 with the 7g plus gearbox, really like it so far, hopefully will give me worry free miles for the next 5 years.

Thank you all for the replies and help, I've gone for a 2011 model E250 with the 7g plus gearbox, really like it so far, hopefully will give me worry free miles for the next 5 years.

You won't regret it!!

You gotta love car forums.:D

Somebody starts a thread asking for opinions on a particular engine type he wants and states, in the OP's case here, he wants the 4 pot for frugality reasons. That is always followed by posts saying something like........... "you don't want that engine, you want the bigger V6, which is much smoother."

Well yes, they are, but that's clearly not what the OP wants as he stated and every time I see this, it reminds me of that Harry Enfield comedy character from years ago. You know the one? "Only me..............you don't want to be doing that............is that what you want? Cos that's what'll 'appen................etc, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdTHmX0TQ

This isn't a criticism of anybody here, by the way, just an observation as it always makes me laugh when I see such threads on car forums. All forums, as it happens, not just the MB ones. ;)

As you were chaps.................

You gotta love car forums.:D

Somebody starts a thread asking for opinions on a particular engine type he wants and states, in the OP's case here, he wants the 4 pot for frugality reasons. That is always followed by posts saying something like........... "you don't want that engine, you want the bigger V6, which is much smoother."

Well yes, they are, but that's clearly not what the OP wants as he stated and every time I see this, it reminds me of that Harry Enfield comedy character from years ago. You know the one? "Only me..............you don't want to be doing that............is that what you want? Cos that's what'll 'appen................etc, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nkZdTHmX0TQ

This isn't a criticism of anybody here, by the way, just an observation as it always makes me laugh when I see such threads on car forums. All forums, as it happens, not just the MB ones. ;)

As you were chaps.................

Actually nothing to do with it. Factually 4 pots are generally crap. If frugality is what your after buy a 1.0 VW fox.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom