639 (Vito / Viano) Speedo Cluster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

m80

MB Enthusiast
Car
Viano ex long, 651 2014. S211 646 2009 (till the Gov't drones blow 'em off the road)
When I had my first Vito I fancied upgrading to steering wheel buttons and for that you need the Viano style cluster, so I got one. As it takes a little more involvement to adapt I didn't get around to it. So I've just advertised the cluster on Gumtree.

Not wanting to mis sell a falty item I've just tested it in my present Vito, it already has the Viano style cluster from new so a straight swap.

The cluster to be sold reads out a 'miles remaining' and it's accurate enough to be useful, an estimate calculated from the fuel remaining I guess, I haven't seen this on the 639 even my V6 Viano doesn't have that.
The but is that the total cluster mileage displays when first connected but then extinguishes not to be seen again. I guess this is because it doesn't match the other vehicle total mileage records, ECU and transmission ECU methinks.

The obvious question is how easy is it to rectify the mismatch of cluster total mileage so it then displays?
I could then sell the cluster that doesn't have the countdown miles remaining

You need to get the second cluster mileage reset so your mileage will be shown, i presume that the countdown miles is for the fuel, it sounds like you have gallons left/miles left? These are easily added via Star, i did it on mine its a nice feature to have. If the clusters are the same but one just has the extra features, i think i would keep yours & just get the others added.

Reactions: m80
Thanks that sounds like a better plan.

Only problem you might have is that most dealers possibly wont know how to do this as they only use "codes" to programme things in & i couldnt find the codes. But found it whilst doing something else on my star machine.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: m80
You are fortunateto have it working at all. Got a facelift cluster to upgrade our Viano rewired the plug but could not get it to work. I still have it.

You are fortunateto have it working at all. Got a facelift cluster to upgrade our Viano rewired the plug but could not get it to work. I still have it.
Im guessing that will be coding, have you definitely got it wired right??

Im guessing that will be coding, have you definitely got it wired right??

I put a lot of time in to it got the year diagram for the cluster. The real problem was of course the different connectors and the fact that the later wiring had a canbus connection and mine didn't. I was assured it wouldn't be a problem as they "pick up" the connection. It didn't and as I have no way of testing the cluster I gave it up as a bad job. Pity really as the two dials plus the larger lcd display were a real improvement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom