65 BUICK RIVIERA

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grober

MB Master
Car
W204 ESTATE
1280px-1965_Buick_Riviera_%2836637392513%29.jpg

For those who have a weakness for old American Muscle Cars. Possibly the best looking bit of "Detroit Iron" ever. Love those headlights. Buick Riviera - Wikipedia
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I'll have a pint of the black one please, like you, I love those clam shell headlights, a beautiful car !

I think I still have my Dinky or Corgi model of the '63 Riviera in a cardboard box somewhere in the garage:

1024px-Buick_Riviera.jpg

Story was that the 63 was due to come with the vertical clamshell headlights like the prototype but Buick couldn't get tooled up for the clamshell headlight mechanism in time so clapped a conventional set in the grille as a stop gap. :oops:
The boatail version featured in the Due South television series as detective Ray Vecchio's "wheels" IIRC??

notable also for its soundtrack often featuring music
by Sarah McLachlan.

Last edited:
I've always loved the look of the old American metal. Sadly, they are for sure a case of never meet your hero. Was lucky enough to get an invite to an event day at the Haynes museum many years back and they had some of the cars out to play. A mate who was connected with the pace took me out in a few. Charger - hilariously bad handling and stopping. DeLorean - so disappointing - gutless, dodgy brakes and equally dodgy handling. Probably the best one was a 2 seater from the '30s Can't recall the name of the thing now, but it was beautiful and was a speed record holder - first car to 130 or similar??

Probably the best way to indulge the desire for something of that ilk would be to get Dave Kindig to make you something.

I think I still have my Dinky or Corgi model of the '63 Riviera in a cardboard box somewhere in the garage
As a kid I had the metallic blue one with the trailer & speedboat like this:

3265_l.jpg

Not sure if it's still at my Dad's or whether it was given away years ago. Looking at the sort of price they fetch, maybe I should find out!

I've always loved the look of the old American metal. Sadly, they are for sure a case of never meet your hero. Was lucky enough to get an invite to an event day at the Haynes museum many years back and they had some of the cars out to play. A mate who was connected with the pace took me out in a few. Charger - hilariously bad handling and stopping. DeLorean - so disappointing - gutless, dodgy brakes and equally dodgy handling. Probably the best one was a 2 seater from the '30s Can't recall the name of the thing now, but it was beautiful and was a speed record holder - first car to 130 or similar??
Probably the best way to indulge the desire for something of that ilk would be to get Dave Kindig to make you something.
I know what you mean. I remember my first drive of a V8 71 Mustang convertible being profoundly disappointing. What all these cars had however was a bit of unashamed styling pizzazz. Something todays models lack, often with the appearance of having been left a little too long under the oven grill. :oops:

I suppose that's what collectors call "possessing an excellent patina" ;) --- evidently worth quids more if it comes in the original box :cool:

The boat tailed one was always my favourite Riviera. Third generation from around 1971 - 1973.

That's the version I always think of. I saw a blue "Gran Sport" one at a charity car show a few years back and it looked amazing.

The boat tailed one was always my favourite Riviera. Third generation from around 1971 - 1973.

That's the version I always think of. I saw a blue "Gran Sport" one at a charity car show a few years back and it looked amazing.
Good job we all have different tastes. I always think of the early 70's American cars (with a couple of exceptions) as styling disaster areas that completely lack either the simplicity of the mid-/late-sixties designs or the completely OTT exuberance of the "space inspired" late 50's / early 60's cars such as this Caddy:

5ad7a883dbd50_1dfd-940x587.jpeg

That's lovely. I know the "boat-tail" Riviera was fairly controversial and didn't sell that well, even at the time!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom