651 Engine swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JaseTrev1971

Car
Mercedes Vito 116 W639
Hi All, I have a 2014 Vito W639 116cdi with the Euro 5 OM651 engine.
last week it decided 4 cylinders were so last year and promptly threw one con rod out the side!
my question is can I use any similar aged 651 bare engine in my Vito ( and obvs swap the sump, intake, exhaust etc,etc) .
I’m struggling to find a Vito engine and as I gather the 651 was designed to be everything to everyone & multifit. I’ve located a 2014 GLA engine with 20k and it’s bare so looks ideal.
Any feedback etc is welcome! Thanks all.

Hi All, I have a 2014 Vito W639 116cdi with the Euro 5 OM651 engine.
last week it decided 4 cylinders were so last year and promptly threw one con rod out the side!
my question is can I use any similar aged 651 bare engine in my Vito ( and obvs swap the sump, intake, exhaust etc,etc) .
I’m struggling to find a Vito engine and as I gather the 651 was designed to be everything to everyone & multifit. I’ve located a 2014 GLA engine with 20k and it’s bare so looks ideal.
Any feedback etc is welcome! Thanks all.
I don't have any direct experience of this but as with all things MB, when swapping major units, you should look for agreement with the code numbers of the engine, e.g 651.xxx etc. as there are several applications to different models.

Maybe somebody with more experience will come along and help further.

Ernie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom