6week ban

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carnut

Car
SL400 & audi A1
Not quite what you think. For some time my hip has been giving me jip and I therefore went to the doctor's about 6 months ago in order to get my hip done in good time. How very efficient they were and after a referral and seeing a consultant I was pronounced fit to have a hip replacement. When ? Any time in the next week!!
As I was set to go to Australia I delayed the next stage but on my return the consultant booked me in 10 days ago for a medical mot and I'm now due to have the operation tomorrow!

I'm therefore banned from driving for 6 weeks

All very fast, efficient and wonderful people

I will let you know how I get on ...I hope!

Our neighbour had a replacement recently...she is 64 years old.
In on Thursday morning. Job done same day. Released on Sunday.
Within the week she was in a lot less pain than prior to the replacement.
:)like yourself, 6 weeks away from driving.

Mine was done in July. It was a very fast recovery compared to the knee I had done 2 years ago.
I was walking without any aids in a few days and then it was just an issue of how to put your socks on and fasten shoe laces.
Best of luck.

Mine was done in July. It was a very fast recovery compared to the knee I had done 2 years ago.
I was walking without any aids in a few days and then it was just an issue of how to put your socks on and fasten shoe laces.
Best of luck.
Thanks
In tomorrow and out by Thursday I hope

My granddad has his hip done in his late 70s, I suspect a fair bit older than you OP and he was all good fairly quickly.

All the best though mate, I'm sure all will go well. That first drive after 6 weeks will be awesome though. :)

Good luck with your operation. I had my hip replaced in 2004 and within 12 weeks I went walking with friends over the Yorkshire moors. My secret is, do your physio exercises and don't cheat. Are you having a general anaesthetic or local?

Good luck with your operation. I had my hip replaced in 2004 and within 12 weeks I went walking with friends over the Yorkshire moors. My secret is, do your physio exercises and don't cheat. Are you having a general anaesthetic or local?
I'm having a complete out of it general
My imagination is far too vivid for anything else!

I see you are in Somerset. I went to the Haynes breakfast club this morning. Maybe a GTG before Xmas there. On the way home my doppelganger SL came up behind me. Reg AA14ALY

So if you're on the forum madam...

I take it your surgeon has discussed the possibility of post operative catheterisation? Quite a common phenomenon with hip surgery. Policy varies from surgeon to surgeon and there seems to be no defined policy as it would appear there's no clear evidence that anticipatory intervention is any better than response intervention in post operative urinary retention [POUR] in terms of the incidence of urinary tract infection. Don't wish to alarm you, but I feel its best to know these things in advance. If you suspect you have prostate problems let your anaesthetist/surgeon know. Good luck tomorrow.:thumb:
http://www.journalofnursingstudies.com/article/S0020-7489(13)00150-8/pdf

My wife had a hip "mecanno'd" back together 3 or 4 years ago, was offered general anaesthetic or epidural - and to our surprise opted for epidural! Felt nothing during the operation, but her top half was fully functional so she was chatting to the team throughout, heard them using the cordless drill for the securing screws, and is really pleased she went for that option! Also, and most amusing for us, when she came back from theatre she talked for Ireland for an hour!! Daughter, SIL and I could not stop laughing!!

Good luck, whichever way you choose!!

My wife had a hip "mecanno'd" back together 3 or 4 years ago, was offered general anaesthetic or epidural - and to our surprise opted for epidural! Felt nothing during the operation, but her top half was fully functional so she was chatting to the team throughout, heard them using the cordless drill for the securing screws, and is really pleased she went for that option! Also, and most amusing for us, when she came back from theatre she talked for Ireland for an hour!! Daughter, SIL and I could not stop laughing!!

Good luck, whichever way you choose!!
Yes, it's the knowing what's going on that I don't like. My mantra is ignorance is bliss when I can't do anything about it. Anyway I'm a wuss

I had a total knee replacement 3 years ago, at 59, worn out playing sports, went in at 07.00, op done at 11.00, awake and was to be sent home at 18.00, but knee bled, so they kept me over night and sent me home next morning, just over 24 hours start to finish. no crutches, i walked in and walked out. Yes it hurt like hell for about two weeks, now its just normal and no pain. I do everything that i could do before, full bend , clicks abit, but its wonderful.
Should have had it done years before, but was always worried it would not work.

Good luck with your op tomorrow.

If its any consolation my Dad had a hip replacement 3 years ago at 89 and its given him a new lease of life.
No longer in pain, he is a different man. The recovery was swift and he was walking almost immediately after the op.
It'll be a breeze for you.:thumb:

Do not forget to take your own marker pen,they mark your leg to be done but it never hurts to put "This leg please"
I think you meant that as a joke but the surgeon has just been in to see me, asked which leg , and used a marker pen !!!

My Wife has had both hips replaced ( not both at same time :D )
On both occasions she was out and about within two weeks.
First few days at home she needed a lot of help with the basics etc, also make sure you get or borrow a hospital type chair for indoors, don’t drop down into soft low armchair or the settee.
She was 69 when she had the first op .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom