7 g tronic gearbox question

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C250cgicoupe

Car
mercedes c180 kompressor
Hi all

I was wondering if anyone knows if the 7 g tronic autobox will automatically shift up in manual mode if the engine is over revved, the reason I ask is because I have the habit of switching into sport mode on one particular stretch of my commute home and then back to economy a few kilometres later, however on this occasion I forgot to cycle back out of manual mode to get back to economy until I realised the the transmission was not shifting up, I had my music on rather loudly and only realised the transmission was still in 2nd gear at nearly 6000rpm before the penny dropped. My wife previously had an A class 180cdi w176 auto which would shift up at a certain rev limit that could not be over ridden. I realise these are 2 completely different transmissions but was curious if the 7 g tronic would shift up or would the engine just hit the rev limiter.

thanks
Neil.

It won’t shift up buddy , it may limit the speed when it hits maximum revs . I’ve not tested that though :eek:

My 9g reverts back to e if I don't select a gear after a short while

My 7g stays under the limiter in that situation. I learned this when trying to do some speedy starts using manual mode. In 1st gear it was too quick to the 6500rpm limiter for me to react in time and stayed at the limiter until I changed up.

If I'm not mistaken if your in manual mode in say 4th when you stop for any reason the gearbox will auto downshift to 1st it will not try to set off in 4th but when you set off again it will stay in 1st until you manually change up to 2nd.

Hi, I looked at the '7G-Tronic Supplement to the Owners Manual' which I own and keep in the stowage compartment in the rear armrest.

- "when the maximum engine speed for the shift range is reached and you continue to accelerate, the transmission will shift up, even if the shift range is restricted."

additionally

- "if you press the select a lever towards D- when the vehicle is travelling at too high a speed, the transmission will not shift down, that's preventing the engine from over speeding."

also

"Select C for Comfort mode

- The vehicle pulls away forwards and backwards more gently. This does not apply to full throttle or in shift range 1

- The tyre grip in the vehicle's stability are increased on slippery surfaces.

- The transmission shifts up sooner. This means that you drive a lower engine speed and the wheels are less likely to spin."

Finally

"S Sport - For all normal driving conditions"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom