7 gTronic VGS 3

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nathanrobo

Car
C320 sport CDI S204 AMG / S211 E320 CDI Avantgarde
My '09 C320 Sport CDI developed a judder today, which I at first thought was a flat tyre. To begin with the judder was occurring at between 60 & 75. It wasn't there all the time but was pretty severe when it happened. It couldn't be felt under hard acceleration. After about 100 miles the gear changes became harsh and a bit erratic. In neutral on tick over, it takes a couple of seconds for reverse to fully engage and you can hear it go in. I think it's slightly worst when the engine is hot (not sure though) There is on EML or limp home mode yet.

I'm guessing one of the following: 1. Conductor plate 2. Torque control 3. Valve body or nailed clutch packs.

I've spent some time googling, but can't see anything where this set of symptoms are appearing together.

Opinions greatly appreciated!

Normally that would be my approach, but the car has only done 6K miles since the last drain (including cooler and pipes), proper clean of pan and replacement filter.

I suspect I'm in for a bill no matter what

TCU faults usually throw you into limp mode and store a code but no Fault light or message oddly. A star session will reveal all and worth it before launching into part changing. MB do reconditioned TCU’s which soften the blow a little.

If you change the oil and it changes the characteristics of the fault you know you’re on the right track.

I took the car into the legendary Albert Lock in Rushden yesterday. He put the Star on it, but no codes & it doesn't call for any adaptations. It's booked in for Friday next week.

On the way down there, it's seems that the judder has given way to the transmission slipping (a bit less so in manual).

My gut tells me it's an oil level issue, but 11K miles ago, I know the level was correct at 50 deg C. So wondering it there could be a leak on the cooler side of things??

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom