7 speed manual

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Take mine - I insist!

Probably, but I suspect turbo technology and engine management advancements have closed the gaps - so to speak.

Yes, and, especially against a manual gated shifter - auto boxes are much faster changing.
Yep, agree.

And thanks for the offer; I'll take yours next time.

Porsche 7 speed transmission, like Aston's, does not allow going into 7th gear unless it is from 5th or 6th.

Porsche's manual gearbox is the PDK transmission without the dual clutch and automation. Aston's box is the old 7 speed "sportshift" (essentially an automated manual gearbox) without the automated bits.

I have owned cars with every number between 3 and 9 gears. All those with over 6 speed were autos. Can you spot a trend here?
Back in the 80's at Le Mans with no chicanes and 250mph top speeds we ran 5 speeds, as that was what was available.
In this century with 215mph top speeds, we ran 6 speeds but with 'flappy paddle' pneumatic shifts.
Paddle shifts in race cars increased the gearbox life by a huge factor. You couldn't put it in the wrong gear.
I really suspect that this is why we find very few manual road car gearboxes with more than 6 speeds. It's to save them from operator error!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom