7 Speed Torque Converter Drain

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

masherbike

Car
GL
Hi,

I have a 2011 GL 7sp 3.0 diesel. It has just done 40,000 miles. I get a shudder from the torque converter when it is hot and stopped in Drive, it goes when it starts to move. I realise it is due a fluid change now so I have been phoning round. One independent quotes £225 but don't drain the torque converter. I suspect the judder is in the torque converter clutch due to the degradation of the fluid. The independent said they ''never drain the TC and neither do the main dealers''. If the problem is due to the old fluid in the TC I should insist they drain it right? Is the TC sealed or does the gearbox fluid find it's way in? Any help will be much appreciated.

There is no drain plug in the TC.

Though it can be drained by disconnecting the fluid pipe (I think that's it).

It just seems wrong to not change the TC fluid when it is subjected to so much heat and friction.

Hi,

I have a 2011 GL 7sp 3.0 diesel. It has just done 40,000 miles. I get a shudder from the torque converter when it is hot and stopped in Drive, it goes when it starts to move. I realise it is due a fluid change now so I have been phoning round. One independent quotes £225 but don't drain the torque converter. I suspect the judder is in the torque converter clutch due to the degradation of the fluid. The independent said they ''never drain the TC and neither do the main dealers''. If the problem is due to the old fluid in the TC I should insist they drain it right? Is the TC sealed or does the gearbox fluid find it's way in? Any help will be much appreciated.

The transmission fluid circulates around the gearbox and Torque Converter, the TC does not have a separate fluid supply.

I think it depends which model you have for the drain plug to be fitted on the TC.

My particular model with 7g does not have one.

Hi,

Hmmmm?

The transmission fluid circulates around the gearbox and Torque Converter, the TC does not have a separate fluid supply.

This is correct and although the fluid circulates a great deal of it is held in the TC when the engine is stopped and should be drained during a full gearbox service. Insist that it's done and then you have peace of mind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom