7+ value services and 6+ labour rates

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Whilst value services still seem to be part of the "strategy", I was informed today by MB Stratford that 6+ labour rates (40% discount) had been withdrawn. I immediately suggested that my business would have to move elsewhere. They countered with a fixed price deal which still seems on the expensive side to me. Obviously, they feel they are over the worst of the crisis, and can now return to their money grabbing ways. As much as I like to hate them, I can see their point when they have a 2 week wait for workshop time. The good news, though, will be an upturn in business for independents who have been squeezed by these deals. Overall, I think I could squeeze them a little more, but not enough to retain my business. I do spend quite alot with them. My cars are older and require more workshop time than average, so labour rate changes have a big effect on the cost of ownership for me.

Is this just MB Stratford (or whatever group they belong to) or a UK wide thing?

Would have thought that workshop bookings will vary significantly from city to city. The vast numbers of people within a few miles catchment area of MB Stratford (& the other London dealers) who are cash rich and time poor you can kind of understand why they might be very busy, regardless of the standard of service provided.

I am told that the 6+ labour rate has been withdrawn across the whole of the UK.

Is this just MB Stratford (or whatever group they belong to) or a UK wide thing?

They're part of Mercedes Benz Retail Group UK.

So it may be policy across all directly owned dealerships, but unlikely in the others. However I've seen and heard a few comments that many dealerships have cut back on service staff so as the remaining staff get increasing heavily loaded they'll be less likely to want to offer discounts to win work.

Having cut back (too far) they (MB Stratford) now find themselves inundated with work and have a 2 week waiting list. They have increased the number of commercial bays by relocating the parts department. But the staff are expected to do more, its true. Frankly I cannot see the point of them offering a value service without 6+ labour rates so I'd expect to see that go too. I've seen this all before 10 years or so ago. Mercedes have a problem with integrating the servicing and repair of older cars into their "philosophy" and network. They don't give it enough attention, yet they will throw £££ away trying to sell or lease new production. Frankly I don't know if any other makers are better at doing this, but on the point of deserting the dealer network for the second time, I have to ask myself are Mercedes worth supporting anymore?

Time to move over to the excellent indie network Les.

I think it was mentioned before, but wouldn't it make sense for MB to authorise the best of the indies, thus lessening their own load at dealerships and offering those with older cars a decent, affordable service?

Already arranged annual services for both cars elsewhere.
And my prospective garage even provide a run around sh!tbox for the duration.
I used to use George Fraser in Alperton years ago when I was working in Windsor and used to get all sorts of old mercs as courtesy cars.

Time to move over to the excellent indie network Les.

I think it was mentioned before, but wouldn't it make sense for MB to authorise the best of the indies, thus lessening their own load at dealerships and offering those with older cars a decent, affordable service?

Authorised schemes are a nightmare!

We had two or three OEMs ask us to look at this when block exemptions rules were changed a few years back. The cons definitely outweighed the pros, which is probably why no brand does it AFAIK.

I needed some workshop time at MB colchester and was being quoted full whack, so i ended up taking mine to a local indie.

tbh, my local indie is just as busy with a 3 week waiting time at his workshop.

By the way, anyone in the NW London area, I seriously recommend Terry at Wayne Gates in Harrow. Super work, friendly and honest! :)

Authorised schemes are a nightmare!

We had two or three OEMs ask us to look at this when block exemptions rules were changed a few years back. The cons definitely outweighed the pros, which is probably why no brand does it AFAIK.

Volvo do, theres an authorised indie next door to my workshop. The guy who set up the place was the service manager at the main dealer before it closed. Doing very well by the looks of things, they look after all the police and anbulance vehicles for the area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom