722.6 Auto box

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Edd1968

MB Enthusiast
Car
CLK 320, CLK 55 AMG & 2 Friesian Horses!
OK those in the know, Mrs Edd1968's CLK has only ever been serviced at Tony Purslow MB down there in Hampshire which is a nice touch to have.
They changed the transmission oil on schedule around 37000 miles. Its not been changed since, howrver it runs and changes perfectly.
I called them up yesterday to ask whether they had a record of it being changed since which they haven't.
The mileage is now 96500 ish and I've read various reports that it should be changed every 40k miles but MB uk said it doesn't need it.
Opinions please.

I had a C class with 5g tronic, done over 90k miles without a transmission oil change, however as soon as i bought it i changed it on my driveway.
Gear change was so smooth after that.
I think it wouldn't hurt to change it after 40k miles... And there is no a lifetime transmission fluid!Thats a nonsense from the manufacturers

I'm inclined to agree. Oil is oil after all and breaks down over time whether it's engine oil or gearbox oil.

The correct grade and viscosity of ATF is very critical to the correct functioning of all auto transmissions ..... Especially the highly complicated transmissions in modern up-market cars.
I would certainly change it every 50,000 miles or so.
The oil picks up wear-particles from the metallic moving parts of the transmission and also from the wearing faces of the clutch-pack components.
Over a period of time, these must modify both the viscosity and the friction properties of the ATF.
It's also critically important to ensure that you use ATF that complies with the MB specification for your model.

Also ... Don't forget to change the filter and clean out the oil pan while the job is being done.

Change it, forget about this "Life Long Fluid". And while you are at it,in addition to replacing the filter. do a complete change of ALL the ATF, inc. TC and Oil cooler radiator too.

Ignore what MB say and get it done every 37.5-40k miles

Thanks for all you're replies. Yeah I came to the conclusion that I'll change it. I'm sure I'd read about this somewhere else. And yes if course I'd never change the oil without the filter and while I was there the electrical connector into the box as I know these can be prone to leaking.
Mines been done so it's just Mrs Edd1968's that needs liking at.

Therefore, can you clarify what ATF to use - 722.6, 5 speed, W212, E220 CDI saloon Blue efficiency - ATF 134? ( the red stuff).

Thanks!

Google Mercedes Benz BEV, you will see all the MB approved liquid's etc. for your car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom