722.6 Autobox - oil & filter change

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grahamcol

Car
2007 CLK 220 and 2001 SLK230
I know lots has been written on this subject over the years. However, I thought I'd share my recent experience with other members. I had been deliberating for a year or two (or longer) as to whether to get my 1996 C200 (early 5 speed) 134k miles done or not. I finally decided to bite the bullet and get my indy to sort it. I'm pleased to say I'm delighted and I was able to be present during the work as my indy is very accommodating. Some interesting points:-

1) Some of the sump pan bolts were extremely difficult to undo and 2 of them broke despite gentle to 'ing & fro' ing with the hand ratchet.
2) There is a small fastener holding the electrical plug heat guard onto one of the pan fasteners. We struggled with this for about half an hour before finally having to cut through it with an angle grinder ! Good job I wasn't trying to do this on the roadside with the car on stands.
3) The old oil (I think it was the original) was in quite good condition and much better than I'd expected. It was a dark red, not burnt and would have been ok for a while yet we felt (despite 134k miles).
4) No swarf of any kind was found in the pan.

My indy then proceeded to thoroughly clean the pan, refit it with a new filter in place on the box (and some new fasteners), new gasket and then drained the torque converter. Finally the box was topped up with a few litres of fresh MB fluid, plugged into star and then warmed up until the gearbox ATF temperature reached 83 degrees C when the level was very carefully topped up to maximum. At this point my indy road tested the car, commented that it changed beautifully and asked me to road test as well. All in, the cost was £160. I think the difference since this work is sometimes a little subtle. Changes up are extremely smooth ( I thought very slight flare was present before but it isn't now) and changes down are similar. I used to get a little bump sometimes on slowing down (as the box changed into 2nd) and this has more or less gone.

In conclusion, I'm pleased with the work (which I feel was done by someone who really cared and knew what they were doing) + the price and I now have the peace of mind knowing the job has been done and that nothing untoward showed up whilst doing it.

Last edited:
Nice work OP, good price too, much better having that peace if mind eh? And even better not finding pieces of car in the fluid!

Thanks for that. I think I will leave mine now (150000) as it works absolutely perfectly. Though I do respect other members views on this, I think the need to replace this fluid is over egged (though I would do it if I wasn't on a tight budget and I'm nowhere near a trustworthy garage like yours or black55s)

Thanks for that. I think I will leave mine now (150000) as it works absolutely perfectly. Though I do respect other members views on this, I think the need to replace this fluid is over egged (though I would do it if I wasn't on a tight budget and I'm nowhere near a trustworthy garage like yours or black55s)

I'm going to leave my C280V6 for a while as it has only done 66k miles and that too changes perfectly. However, I'm not sure I'd want to leave yours any longer with 150k miles. That said, it's your decision and it does change fine + my C200 at 134k miles was still pretty much ok really too.

I'm going to leave my C280V6 for a while as it has only done 66k miles and that too changes perfectly. However, I'm not sure I'd want to leave yours any longer with 150k miles. That said, it's your decision and it does change fine + my C200 at 134k miles was still pretty much ok really too.

My car must be worth £700 quid now, and as long as it does another couple of uyears before I upgrade then thats fine. I haven't even touched the air filter or plugs for 60000 and it runs fab! Even the mpg has remained steady at 32. If this goes down I will spend some money!

Fair enough I guess. My C200 which I've just had done is only worth about £1500 or so, I guess. However, it's worth much more to me despite the 134k mileage. It runs perfectly, no rattles or squeaks, uses no oil, no suspension clonks and looks the dogs danglies with absolutely NO RUST anywhere. To replace it with something as good would cost thousands. That's why I'm prepared to spend to look after it. Had it 5 years now and it aint going to anybody else !

There`s an excellent thread on here by BlackC55 about this ATF change. Loads of pics.

That is, if you change your mind. :thumb:

Yes, unusual I know but my 1996 (pre-facelift or rather in between facelift as it's got the later style headlight lenses and is a 5 speed auto) is totally rust free. It's better underneath than my C280 V6 which is 4 years younger and which has less than half the mileage ! Strange how so many of the 202's go so rusty, even some of the pre facelift ones with the better paint.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom