722.6 Control Menu and Paddle Shifters

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

whitenemesis

MB Club Veteran
SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450h F-Sport with Takumi Pack 2020
Just came across some interesting videos - shows what's possible in configuring the 5G 'box.

[YOUTUBE]vH0kkp6WSss[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]DLmaMMUfxPw[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]Z7gg0ejD0YA[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]vxgUkKPyp6o[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:
I wonder if Renntech / Brabus delve into this stuff to get the best from their performance upgrades. I know they beef-up the 'box mechanicals but software tweaks?

Thx for posting. I can't find my link to the G-Tronic configuration tutorial at the moment, but I assume the 1st video shows part of that process. As I understand it, there are factory data sheets for each standard engine spec, this data is input manually or in the case of shift points the car can be driven with Star connected and put in a mode whereby the car learns the shift points from the driver's actions (presumably done 2-up but even so less precise than manual input).

You raise an interesting point about reconfiguration with performance upgrades- I assume that official Brabus etc installations do include reconfig of transmission, but I doubt that all the unofficial ECU performance tweakers (and certainly DIY jobs) are that thorough- in which case there's a risk that the benefits of any engine performance improvements aren't actually exploited by the trans (or worse case, the performance is actually worse because shift points are mismatched with torque profile).

You raise an interesting point about reconfiguration with performance upgrades- I assume that official Brabus etc installations do include reconfig of transmission, but I doubt that all the unofficial ECU performance tweakers (and certainly DIY jobs) are that thorough- in which case there's a risk that the benefits of any engine performance improvements aren't actually exploited by the trans (or worse case, the performance is actually worse because shift points are mismatched with torque profile).

I have a suspicion this is true of the Brabus D6S which I have fitted to my 350 (albeit on a 7G+) In Sport mode the upshift is hopelessly out of line with the torque profile - so "no" - it isn't modified. Since the default is Economy mode, you have to press the mode button twice to get it to manual and then start using the paddles - very cumbersome.

I have a suspicion this is true of the Brabus D6S which I have fitted to my 350 (albeit on a 7G+) In Sport mode the upshift is hopelessly out of line with the torque profile - so "no" - it isn't modified. Since the default is Economy mode, you have to press the mode button twice to get it to manual and then start using the paddles - very cumbersome.

Still can't find the doc I want, but here's a bit that explains how you could fix your problem with the assistance of an expert with Start kit:

"You must go into the transmission module through the star computer. Then select transmission adaptation, then upshifts. There will be on screen instructions for each adaptation for each upshift. I suggest you use the buttons on the steering wheel to hold the gear. For example gear 1 select using the minus button on the steering wheel, then follow the rpm range and torque range limits on the screen while driving (a second person helps for this). When the engine rpm and torque range is within the green limits on the screen, press the plus upshift button to upshift. You should hear 2 beeps if it has learned it. You will have to do this process 3 times for each gear. After you continue on to the next screen, it should show you before and after adaptation values to confirm you have done it successfully.​

Just select Downshifts instead of Upshifts. The Downshift one is even simpler. The directions are drive fast enough so the transmission is in 7th gear. Then let off the gas and let is coast to a complete stop. You will here it beep twice everytime it learns a downshift. Again, it will have a before and after spec. screen to double check that it was performed. The downshift adaptation should take care of all the traffic stop/start problems."​

Mercedes-Benz GL550: adaptation procedure on 722.9 7 speed - JustAnswer

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom