722.6 gearbox service intervals... Mystery!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

philnewmerc

Car
CLS55
Hi all. I have a late 2003 clk500 with 5g box. All is well but I've been trying to find what the service atf change interval is. Good grief Mercedes make your mind up! It appears to have been everything from filled for life (no change needed) to a one off change at 37000m and maybe one change every 120km??.... Does anyone have any idea what the official one was for my car and if it's possible to find out if the 37000 was done at Mercedes back in the day (probs 2005)? I checked the level and it was good and clean but at the next oil change i may do the atf too

Different car but same box in mine. The electronic servcice sheet showed it needed a one-off change at 37,500 miles - but only from VIN's that started a few thousand (so perhaps a few weeks production) after mine - so the dealer wouldn't do it (car was on a service package). I paid for it to be done whe the service plan finished.

See if you can find your car here: Mercedes-Benz UK | Electronic Service Sheet

On a practical level, stick to every 4-years or ~40,000 miles, and you'll be fine.

The ATF change on 5g box isn't that expensive, either.

Different car but same box in mine. The electronic servcice sheet showed it needed a one-off change at 37,500 miles - but only from VIN's that started a few thousand (so perhaps a few weeks production) after mine - so the dealer wouldn't do it (car was on a service package). I paid for it to be done whe the service plan finished.

Thanks for that, i will try filling in the link you sent. So is 37500 still (according to Merc) a one off?

Thanks for that, i will try filling in the link you sent. So is 37500 still (according to Merc) a one off?
I would ignore what MB say.

They are rather inconsistent when it comes to ATF changes. Every 40,000 miles will help to keep the transmission in good order.

This subject has been done to death on the internet and there simply does not seem to be an official answer as MB muddied the waters years ago with the frankly ludicrous 'sealed for life' thing and the fact that all 722.6 transmissions are not the same.

40K miles or 4 years sounds a sensible option , it's cheap insurance against an expensive breakdown.

40K miles or 4 years sounds a sensible option , it's cheap insurance against an expensive breakdown.

Well, it would be if it really did insure against breakdown!

I'd be minded to go on mileage - I don't see ATF deteriorating with age. I recall much discussion about getting the level right and it being vital not to overfill them but ideally get the hot level as near to top line of the dipstick as possible. Mine was overfilled when changed by the dealer and shortly after the connector plug started leaking, although that commonly happens anyway.

Tried the link but it just suggests an oil change and has no info on gearbox or past service history. Worth a try tho, cheers

It won't give you the history - it's the ESS system, which produces an Electronic Service Sheet.

I put in your car (slightly guessing the exact model) and the mileage at 37,500, selected service B, click 'continue', and it gives:

Once at 37,500 miles
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.6 as of VIN end no. F147225)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.6 as of VIN end no. T044945)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.9 as of VIN end no. F147225)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.9 as of VIN end no. T044945)

It won't give you the history - it's the ESS system, which produces an Electronic Service Sheet.

I put in your car (slightly guessing the exact model) and the mileage at 37,500, selected service B, click 'continue', and it gives:

Once at 37,500 miles
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.6 as of VIN end no. F147225)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.6 as of VIN end no. T044945)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.9 as of VIN end no. F147225)
Automatic transmission: Carry out oil and filter change (Transmission 722.9 as of VIN end no. T044945)
Ahhh i see, good shout thanks.
So can i just phone the original dealer to double check it was done? I think its about 50k since then so probably due

Ahhh i see, good shout thanks.
So can i just phone the original dealer to double check it was done? I think its about 50k since then so probably due

In essence you can walk into any MB dealership with the V5C and an ID and ask for a printout of the car's service history. However, the Digital Service Book started in 2007, so your 2003 car might not be on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom