722.6 oil change - extra info needed

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

E55BOF

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
CLS63 SB, SLK55, Cooper S, Triumph Sprint (Bike not Dolly...),
I'm just about to do a transmission oil change on my '98 E55 AMG. The oil pan bolts are all free, I've got the oil, the dipstick has arrived, as has the filter kit, and I've got Black C55's noddy guide text, so no problems, but...

If my information is correct, I should have a torque converter drain plug :)bannana:); whoopee! (deleted from the 2000 MY on), but I can't search the forum for the full thread, so I'm assuming that all I need do is remove the oil pan and torque converter drain plugs, and once the dripping stops, that's it. Or do I need to run the engine to pump the last dregs out? Please help.

E55BOF

If you have a torque converter drain plug, rotate the torque converter until you see it. Once you drain it and the pan, you should be in good shape. Else, you'll have to flush it through the trans cooler hoses.

FYI, I don't think you have a drain plug.

Get a dip stick of ebay. there a couple of quid but hard to see the oil level on them.so i got some black heat shrink electrical tubing on the end of mine and easy to see level now.

I need to do this on my R129.

I was going to avoid doing draining the torque converter to avoid "Fluid shock" not sure if its really an issue but want to be safe rather than sorry.

Here is the thread where its mentioned
722.6 Torque Converter Fiuid Question - 2001 SL500 - Benzworld.org - Mercedes-Benz Discussion Forum

Can I ask where you got the dipstick from and how much.

Also where did you get fluid filter from and price.

Cheers

Ivan

As Tony says; dipstick, £2.40 off eBay. That's a really good tip about the heat-shrink tubing, too.

I bought the filter pack (filter, gasket, drain plug washer, red pin) from an MB dealer who advertised it on eBay - £24.99. I could probably get it all a little cheaper overall, but as I will never do the job again, why not use the OE stuff and be sure it's right?

I've never heard of 'viscosity shock', and so far as I know, when your friendly local stealer or indie changes the fluid, they do the lot. Does anyone have other information?

I should have a drain plug on a '98 car. I'll find out when I do the job. If not, I may well be avoiding 'viscosity shock', if it exists, by changing the oil in stages anyway.

E55BOF

Last edited:
Some will have a drain plug, some not.

I've not heard of viscosity shock, but you can hear the torque converter suck as the new oil fill it.

I would guess you definitely will have a tc drain plug on a 1998 model, they ceased from circa late '99>

Make sure you use a good quality allen key on it, it WILL be tight!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom