722.6 oil levels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gumboil

Car
1998 E280
Good day guys

Firstly, a thank you for having me, could seem to find the welcome section. Anyway, Im sure this has been posted here a gazillion times, just pls understand my confusion regarding this. I just got myself a w210 E280, needs a small bit of tinkering, here and there.

I am concerned with oil levels for the 722.6 transmission. Very conflicting views on how to check and what levels are correct and when. At teh risk of busting this thing up, let me just say where Im at.

Dropped the pan last night, new filter, cleaned pan, its spotless, even my wife commented on that. Popped in new filter and gasket, did not drain fluid from the toque convertor. Proceeded to follow Pelican Parts tutorial and fill transmission with 5L of fluid. In my case the Ravenol ATF 9 serie. Dipstick showed above 80 deg mark with engine running and still cold. Didnt want to take a chance driving, so she sat idling for for a good hour. Checke level again, with proper MB dipstick and level was 15mm up unto the wire part of the cable.

Then came across another thread, that said just sump should take about 3.7 litres, and toque convertor another 3-4 litres.

It is extremely confusing for me, and I was hoping someone could advise me on the proper way to go forward here. Should I partially drain the oil to obtain my 25deg cold mark, drive it ans then check fluid levels again, and top up as needed?

Regards
Cedric

I would suggest you do not drive it with a 2 litre over-fill.
When I did my gearbox I put back the same volume that I drained. About 3,5 L.
Get an electric oil pump, for doing oil changes, and pump out 2 L from the dipstick tube (use the right one !) then check the level cold with the engine running.
When the level is about right with the gearbox cold, then drive around till everything is warmed up and set the final level at 80c with the engine running.

I would suggest you do not drive it with a 2 litre over-fill.
When I did my gearbox I put back the same volume that I drained. About 3,5 L.
Get an electric oil pump, for doing oil changes, and pump out 2 L from the dipstick tube (use the right one !) then check the level cold with the engine running.
When the level is about right with the gearbox cold, then drive around till everything is warmed up and set the final level at 80c with the engine running.

Thank you sir for the information. I do appreciate your time and advice. I have read that too much transmission fluid creates more air bubbles, effectively causing less cooling and lubrication. Could sluggish gear changes also be on the cards?

Regards
Cedric

When I bought my current car it had a hard shift 2-3 when cold.
It was overfilled by 300ml, and removing that fixed the issue.

Drained 2L, will add to level to get to 25deg mark once I get a chance to check it.

Thanx Alec

Guys, does the transmission dipstick bottom out on the sump when inserted? I just wanted to confirm, I have a suspicion that the one Im using goes in way deeper than it should.

No. The diamond shaped "collar" at the top of the plastic scale cannot exit the dipsticktube.

Found this as well

dipstickmercedescolora-jpg.635249

Which should make it pretty simple to make a dipstick from curtain wire or a bike brake cable outer. Just to make sure and compare to the original.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom