722.6 Recondition Cost ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not had a chance to get anything done due to our weather.

Sunshine is out today so going to get the conductor plate and radiator plus pipes done while I can (crosses fingers for fair weather).

Car has still been used daily only sometimes going into limp mode.

Emptied the fluid to do the pipes then thought what the heck I'll drop the valve body out and change the conductor plate as I have a new one here.

Ended up completely stripping the valve body down, cleaning it all and re-assembling.
Didn't find anything wrong and all solenoids appear to be ok.

20190913_190022.jpg

All back together but it's dark now so job for tomorrow.

20190913_204123.jpg

Hopefully get the rad, pipes and this done tomorrow.

That took a lot longer than expected today and still not got the radiator out.

Got it drained, all the hoses off but they were a real pain.
The radiator hoses and transmission lines were very well corroded into the radiator.
Took me an awful lot of effort to get these out, the transmission ones are pretty much toast so good call on getting new ones.

Can't get the hose for the expansion tank out of the radiator this is very badly corroded so think I will need a new hose on this one, will check what is required.

Think I need to remove the charge air cooler to get the radiator out, will have a check again when it is better lit.

Bummer, the hose for the expansion tank A2115000472 is knackered.
Meant to be the little metal part attached that locks into the radiator but this was corroded solid into the rad.
It's only the very small piece I need that goes from the rigid pipe to the rad. but may have to buy the whole thing. :(
20190915_130244.jpg

Got one of those little hoses today, £20 used but good condition, a lot better than the cost of a new one.

All back together with the new radiator and transmission pipes, conductor plate, pilot bush and a filter change and fresh fluid.

Warmed car up a good bit to get the coolant level correct and checked the transmission fluid level and topped up as required.

Then drove the car 30 odd miles round trip on the motorway, very smooth and faultless drive.
Checked for codes on return and there were none!

Could it be fixed?

Could it be fixed?

Seems to be, it's been doing 40 odd miles a day without incident.
Trip up to Dundee on Saturday/Sunday about 120 miles round trip, driving really smooth.

Must say I'm astounded, I was convinced we had knackered the gearbox, seems that it was either the conductor plate or something lodged within the valve body that I cleaned up.

My logic says that perhaps the ATF temperature rose and this caused the hall effect sensor(s) within the speed sensors (they are potted) to fail and that was the route of the problem but just a guess.

Were all the springs Ok in the valve body? They are known to crack, lovely job pat.

Drove it today Stirling to Manchester and back, almost 500 miles round trip, 10 hours with about a 90 minute stopover.

Car drove terrific, still enjoy this old car, great use of the SBC S system in very heavy tail backs.

Glad to hear that the "Surgery " was a success Pat ! Heres to many more happy mile's in it. BTW: Is the area you live in near the seaside ? Just wondering what caused the pipes in the radiator to rust so bad.

Glad to hear that the "Surgery " was a success Pat ! Heres to many more happy mile's in it. BTW: Is the area you live in near the seaside ? Just wondering what caused the pipes in the radiator to rust so bad.

No, central Scotland, probably just typical weather and salty roads.

Good stuff, this must be the 'sorry sir you need a new gearbox' story we often hear of when 'all' it needed was a bit of TLC. Well done :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom