722.8 auto transmission oil level read

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

manojs888

Car
a-class
A simple question but can anyone tell me how to read the automatic transmission dipstick please ?
The instructions say that at 80C the dipstick should read between levels 5-7, ideally 6. However upon pulling out the dipstick the two sides always show different levels, so not really sure which side to read.

History - I had jacked the front to change the automatic transmission oil, gasket and filter for the 5 year service. Ordered mercedes original kit which comes with and recommends 4 litres of oil. I got around 4.8-4.9 litres out - probably cause it was jacked up (front only). I have put new oil in but having issues as explained above about knowing how to read the dipstick.

Why could it not be as easy as reading the engine oil level !

BTW I am running the car for about 25 minutes and assume that this is sufficient to get the transmission to 80c. When I did try the laser gun temperature measure pointing it to the auto transmission pan it gave me around 67 - so assuming that the core would be 80 - I wouldnt be able to get it warmer, thx

A simple question but can anyone tell me how to read the automatic transmission dipstick please ?
The instructions say that at 80C the dipstick should read between levels 5-7, ideally 6. However upon pulling out the dipstick the two sides always show different levels, so not really sure which side to read.

History - I had jacked the front to change the automatic transmission oil, gasket and filter for the 5 year service. Ordered mercedes original kit which comes with and recommends 4 litres of oil. I got around 4.8-4.9 litres out - probably cause it was jacked up (front only). I have put new oil in but having issues as explained above about knowing how to read the dipstick.

Why could it not be as easy as reading the engine oil level !

BTW I am running the car for about 25 minutes and assume that this is sufficient to get the transmission to 80c. When I did try the laser gun temperature measure pointing it to the auto transmission pan it gave me around 67 - so assuming that the core would be 80 - I wouldnt be able to get it warmer, thx
There is plenty stuff about ATF change online, but I seem to remember to do it properly the car had to be level and off the ground and the gearbox cycled through the gears (both forward and reverse) which would mean the rear wheels off the ground as they spun.

Then a test drive and level check.

good luck.

All that information was background - my main question is how to read off the level of oil after having withdrawn the dipstick from the auto transmission ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom