722.9 Gearbox service E280 2008 FYI

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Reamer

Car
SLK250 CDI AMG SPORT 2014
I am about to service my gearbox and have purchased all parts and tools. There are many discussions on which oil to use but I had had no issues in the past with this oil. There are many write ups out there so I didn't bother to repeat. I just thought I would pass on my findings incase any member is considering doing their own service.

I will be doing this twice or more in my ownership, so invested to save and want it done correctly. The last time it was serviced by MB they only used 5 litres of fluid so they did not drain the TC.

I want to drain as much as I can so I will be flushing through 9 plus 1 litre each service.

It will bring my service cost down to £100.48 per service. I already own an infrared thermometer but they are £13.99 from amazon if not. https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01G6E61JW/ref=pe_385721_37986871_TE_item

Oil - Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 - Mercedes MB 236.14

"ATF 4134 is one of the few ATFs meeting the MB 236.14 approval. Other ATFs meeting this specification are the Mobil ATF 134 and Shell ATF134, but Fuchs TITAN ATF 4134 is factory filled in the latest generation of Mercedes Benz (NAG 2) 7-speed automatic gearboxes (Model designation 722.9), providing the required anti-wear and friction modifier additive systems to ensure proper function during the full lifetime of the gearbox".

£89.95 Fuchs Titan ATF 4134 for Mercedes - meets MB 236.14 Use code M3C and get 10% off.

Sealeys gear box oil pump including filler adapter with shut off valve. £65 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00BTYPXU8/ref=pe_385721_37038051_TE_3p_dp_1

Service kit (filter, sump washer, stand off pipe, 6 x use once bolts and gasket) from MB £46.

How are you going to measure the fill level? I thought the 7g had to be filled from underneath and calibrated with STAR?

You are correct. The car must be level. Once complete you add 1 more litre than you drained out hence you must measure the total drained. Then when the oil is at 45C you undo the filler adapter from the sump. You will get a steady flow until the level reaches the top of the stand off pipe with the engine running. Replace the sump plug and switch off. All done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Also using the oil pump kit in the link you fill from the sump pan underneath the car. The pump is the correct tool for gearboxes.

If correct, that will save a lot of owners having to pay for the oil change(assuming they are able to do it)

Its not just the price. It costs anywhere from £150-200 and most are not doing it properly or they would be charging you for at least 9-10 litres of fluid. I don't mind paying if the job is done right. So I have invested in a good set of tools over the past five years. I have serviced my own cars for years now purely because I want it done right.

There are a lot of great guides out there. I tend to read and digest until I know it backwards, then watch a YouTube video for clarity.

There are some jobs that I just can not do but so far I have rebuilt the entire front suspension, the rear shocks, poly belt, major oil service amongst others.

I am more than willing to help others if I can.

Lorenzo one of my techs uses his hands to feel the temp of the sump.
I told him to use the star machine, and he said 'put it on the vehicle'
He judged the temp to within a couple of degrees!!!!

The problem with a thermometer is that it's giving a specific reading from wherever it lands, rather than an overall temp of the oil. If you move it around you will see what I mean.

The correct way to do it is with a diagnostic kit.

You are right. However if I take multiple readings from a broad section I should get as close to your techs hands. [emoji6]

You are right. However if I take multiple readings from a broad section I should get as close to your techs hands. [emoji6]

Haha
I'm sure you weren't far out

71fc3e93ca9b821688780d7223f552a9.jpg

d0f71c2f704a8168068e08f7e4ce63bb.jpg

Ok so I completed the service today. All went very well. I have a drain plug in my TC so I managed to drain 7.25 ltrs. The fluid was very dirty to think it had apparently been done 25k miles ago.

After running up the temp to 45c the overspill was still a nice cherry red.

The drive was night and day. I was amazed as I thought it was driving ok beforehand. It now shifts so smoothly. Really pleased.

Every 12k when I drop the engine oil I will drop 3.5ltrs and top up. I will then do a full change every three services. This way it should never get to a end of life situation.

Ps the tools bought were superb and made the job very easy and slick[emoji6][emoji106]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom