7g gearbox on W212 E300 not changing gears until 2.5k revs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ryeham808

Car
E300 Bluetec hybrid 2015
Afternoon all!

I have a 2015 E300, W212 shape. Owned for a year and recently the check engine light has come on. The gears don’t change until 2.5k revs and the gearbox does not employ the 7th gear on the motorway/ dual carriages. at first I thought the check engine light might be coming on because it was due a service

I had a recent service ( oil/fuel/air/cabin filter change with new oil) and for about 200 miles the car was driving fine but last night it came back on again.

I’m struggling to think what it could be. Can’t see any fluids leaking so at a loss.

Based in the Newcastle area so if anyone can recommend a decent garage that won’t rob me would be great too

Many thanks

Hi there, it could be lots of things causing the cel. The service guys probably reset it to see if it was a spurious alarm. Looks like it isn’t so will require further investigation. You may have some joy going back to the service guys. They might read the code for you for free seeing as you are a good customer. At least you may get a clue what is the issue, guessing with all modern cars is an expensive game. If you don’t want the service garage to fix take a note of the code, don’t just let them clear it again to get you out the door. I’m sure there is a member in the NE who can help with a recommendation.

Afternoon all!

I have a 2015 E300, W212 shape. Owned for a year and recently the check engine light has come on. The gears don’t change until 2.5k revs and the gearbox does not employ the 7th gear on the motorway/ dual carriages. at first I thought the check engine light might be coming on because it was due a service

I had a recent service ( oil/fuel/air/cabin filter change with new oil) and for about 200 miles the car was driving fine but last night it came back on again.

I’m struggling to think what it could be. Can’t see any fluids leaking so at a loss.

Based in the Newcastle area so if anyone can recommend a decent garage that won’t rob me would be great too

Many thanks
Funnily enough i had these same symptoms recently in my E250. Whether related or not im not sure but it seemed to come on after filling with diesel (in Belgium). The gearbox then seemed to cure itself after a few hours driving but the engine light stayed on. I did a transmission reset and then the engine light went out after a few miles. It's been totally fine since. Im wondering whether there was an issue with the fuel or something, or maybe it stirred up some water/gunk in the tank that took a while to clear. When it next goes in i'll see if any codes are stored - but touch wood mine seems fine now.

Afternoon all!

Many thanks
When was the Gearbox serviced????

Ahh never thought about the transmission reset! I’ll try that!

The mileage is 62k so I think it’s due a gearbox service too - shame I could’ve saved some money.

For future reference could anyone recommend a decent garage in the Newcastle Upon Tyne / Northumberland area

just tried to reset the transmission to no avail.

Might have to do a gearbox service

Also these were the codes coming up

Codes :

Attachments

• 1ABD6C47-5C48-422E-BE62-0F0F068433EC.jpeg
    1ABD6C47-5C48-422E-BE62-0F0F068433EC.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 17
  • B7C6B414-5998-4785-B9A2-65D26D8408A2.jpeg
    B7C6B414-5998-4785-B9A2-65D26D8408A2.jpeg
    94.5 KB · Views: 18
whilst I'm not saying it isn't a gearbox issue that a service might sort, there are other things that can cause the gearbox to seemingly "play up". MAF sensor issues, air leaks etc etc.

Looks like you have a split air hose or something not put back correctly. Check through the inlet and the pressurised side. O rings and seals typically get damaged or badly seated during incorrect assembly procedures at a service. If you can find the problem I would then clear the codes and see how it goes.

whilst I'm not saying it isn't a gearbox issue that a service might sort, there are other things that can cause the gearbox to seemingly "play up". MAF sensor issues, air leaks etc etc.

ah, just seen your codes. did the problems only start after the service? If so, and this might sound obvious, but check they plugged all the sensors back in. If everything is ok give everything a visual check firstly for splits, and then run the engine and listen out-some air leaks are pretty obvious and there are some coommon failure points so worth checking them as a start.

Secondly if you clear all the codes, what comes back? Just the air leak one?

Yes have a look at the engine compartment and check for anything loose,or not put back,

Anywhere near to Dunston ?

ah, just seen your codes. did the problems only start after the service? If so, and this might sound obvious, but check they plugged all the sensors back in. If everything is ok give everything a visual check firstly for splits, and then run the engine and listen out-some air leaks are pretty obvious and there are some coommon failure points so worth checking them as a start.

Secondly if you clear all the codes, what comes back? Just the air leak one?
The problem started just before the service and after the service the problem went away. about 200 miles the problem started again. My brother (the mechanic) checked for air leaks and couldn’t find anything.

Yeah we cleared everything and just that code came up

Isn't the E300 a hybrid? Could that be part of the issue here?

Hi all

My issue seemed to cure itself and it's been fine for the last year. However it's just today started playing up again. I noticed this morning coming up to a roundabout just after starting off it seemed to change down not that smoothly, then the engine management light came on. It changes gear still but seems a bit wayward - sometimes changes at 1500rpm, sometimes 2500rpm and there's no kickdown (assume that might be if it's in a kind of limp mode?). I tried a transmission reset and the gear changes went back to normal and all seemed good. Then after about 15 mins driving, started playing up again.

Any ideas what it could be? Its been serviced recently and has been driving fine since the service (a month or so ago)

Hi all

My issue seemed to cure itself and it's been fine for the last year. However it's just today started playing up again. I noticed this morning coming up to a roundabout just after starting off it seemed to change down not that smoothly, then the engine management light came on. It changes gear still but seems a bit wayward - sometimes changes at 1500rpm, sometimes 2500rpm and there's no kickdown (assume that might be if it's in a kind of limp mode?). I tried a transmission reset and the gear changes went back to normal and all seemed good. Then after about 15 mins driving, started playing up again.

Any ideas what it could be? Its been serviced recently and has been driving fine since the service (a month or so ago)
Deep down buddy , you know you need the fault codes read ;)

Deep down buddy , you know you need the fault codes read ;)
Yeah i know - im just curious as to what it might be as i won't be able to take it in for a week. If it does cure itself like it did last time i'll take it in anyway. But last time it seems there were no codes stored which seems weird - or at least they had disappeared by the time it had its next service (about 8 months). I do hear a lot about conductor plates - anyway lets see! I'll report back!

Yeah i know - im just curious as to what it might be as i won't be able to take it in for a week. If it does cure itself like it did last time i'll take it in anyway. But last time it seems there were no codes stored which seems weird - or at least they had disappeared by the time it had its next service (about 8 months). I do hear a lot about conductor plates - anyway lets see! I'll report back!

Possibly engine faults and gearbox is fine??

Possibly engine faults and gearbox is fine??
Could be, but engine seems fine. Im tempted to try to get an icarsoft as it would be useful to have anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom