7G gearbox slipped

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accused

Car
CL500 2005
I did a 350 mile trip yesterday in my 05 CL500, all good except about halfway I stopped for an hour and after pulling away it slipped badly in all gears, felt like a clutch slip or when an auto dumps its oil.
I switched off, sulked and prepared for the AA trip of doom...restarted all fine, in fact fine for the entire 175 mile return trip.

Are they glitchy of is it impending doom?

No codes or EML, no smell or obvious leaks.

Thanks

Check under the car for evidence of wetness. You may have a pinhole leak that is starting to drop the level of oil. I found evidence of this on mine (admittedly a 5 speed gearbox) when the undertray was removed. Mine had the same symptoms. Obviously it got worse as more oil leaked out.
If you can't check yourself, then getting a mechanic to check the level in the gearbox and a visual but detailed check for evidence of oil leaks is a good and cheap first step.

Check under the car for evidence of wetness. You may have a pinhole leak that is starting to drop the level of oil. I found evidence of this on mine (admittedly a 5 speed gearbox) when the undertray was removed. Mine had the same symptoms. Obviously it got worse as more oil leaked out.
If you can't check yourself, then getting a mechanic to check the level in the gearbox and a visual but detailed check for evidence of oil leaks is a good and cheap first step.
I have heard that the gearbox ''sump"(?) can be porous in some instances.

Well I am at that point already after just four Months of CL ownership, quit or pay up! Already we have AC Compressor, Valve cover / breather gaskets, Gearbox TCU, front castor arms and both front calipers seized! All this on a top money 2005 seemingly well cared for. The plus side, Alex at AMF not only diagnosed all with ease, quoted very comptetive;ly but was also totally flexible about the work order, explained everything that it needs and reasured me, an absolute pleasure to deal with.

If I do take the plunge it is definitley AMF who will be called.

Last edited:
Fluid wasn't low and been fine since so will only go further if it happens again
Did they check the solenoids and valves? Even a dirty filter can cause this symptom. An ISM relay has been a known issue as well (not in your case, but just keep an eye out).

It was suggested to rebuild the tcu but its hard to justify when it only happened once for a few mins then a restart cured it. My main concern was if it was leaking which luckily it isn't

It was suggested to rebuild the tcu but its hard to justify when it only happened once for a few mins then a restart cured it. My main concern was if it was leaking which luckily it isn't
To be safe just get the required fluid quantity, filter, valve o rings, pan gasket, bolts, and drain neck. You can get conductor plates and throw them in there too. This would give your trans an extended life.

Yes run it wait until it does it again,if does it might only need to have the electroplate cleaned ,there is a video on Utube where a german tech does it and all it is is fine particles giving the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom