7G+ Transmission change every 5 years... regardless of milage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TeddyRuxpin

MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
2x E350 CDI Sport W212s... for a bit
Hi,

If a car with a 7G+ box is 10 years old and has only done 40k miles, does it still *really* need its (second) gearbox change?

How does age vs milage factor in, in the real world?

I understand that the strict MB rule is 75k or every five years, but this car has been especially... under utilised.

Does anyone have any real world experience?

Cheers,

Ed

Hi,

If a car with a 7G+ box is 10 years old and has only done 40k miles, does it still *really* need its (second) gearbox change?

I understand that the strict MB rule is 75k or every five years, but this car has been especially... under utilised.

Cheers,

Ed
I wouldnt bother , but are you going to sell soon ? Do you have Mobilio cover ?

Hi,

Cheers,

Ed

I would say yes. Fluids deteriorate over time, especially when used in harsh environment (heat/pressure). And mileage is only a very very rough guide when it comes to work done by mechanical components on a car anyway.

And, the time interval for the 5g box was 4 years, the 7g box was 3 years. It was extended to 5 years with 7g+, so it's probably stretching it as far as possible anyway.

There was a period of time around 2007, when MB tried to change this to 'sealed for life', but did a U-turn on that very quickly, probably for a good reason.

I would change the ATF on time (and have done so on all my cars).

But then, it's your car..... your decision.

Both my S203 and S204 with the 5g box were, according to MB, sealed for life (and a major row with the service manager at local main dealer when I bought the car as owners manual showed change needed at 37.5k miles, which they had not done). However, I had the S203 done at about 70k miles (for the first time in its life), and did not notice any change in the gearbox performance. The S204, on the advice of my indie, I left untouched until 100k miles and again noticed no difference in the gearbox performance.

I now have a 2008 SLK280 with the 7g box which, as far as I can determine, has never had an ATF change despite being MB supplied - and serviced for its first 6 years - then mb indie maintained until late 2019, so I'll probably get that done next service as occasionally I'm getting slightly clunky gear changes.

c£300 now or a potentially larger bull latter?

£300 is, what, 4 tanks of fuel?

My car had the routine 31k gear box service in its history records. Not under my ownership.

The gearbox was smooth as silk. When I took ownership of the car it had 62k. I had a full gearbox service just recently at 67k I just wanted piece of mind that I knew it was all fresh oil. The shifts even felt smoother. Well worth the £300+ to have piece of mind and a fully functional smooth auto gearbox.

My car was coming up for 10 year old. Was one of the factors for doing it.

Hi,

Cheers,

Ed

Nag2+ is 77500 miles. Or 5 years. If it aint broke and all that may apply here.

on my ML 7g the fluid has being changed every 40k miles as per service book recommendation.

My 7G+, is due an ATF change in October service. It‘s only done 24k, but I’ll get it done.

I've had two done in around 20,000 miles, though with mitigating circumstances.

I've just bought a 10year old S212 with 26k on the clock that has been serviced six times over its life but hasn't had the transmission oil done.

Reviewing the service history with "my chap," the first thing we agreed was that the transmission oil needed doing. He muttered things about nasty bits of metal washing around the place.

Personally, I'm sceptical of anyone expecting to "feel" improvements, from changing oil, but I completely get the idea of putting fresh oil into a car doing such crazy things with its mechanical bits. How many revs in how many hours, in what kind of heat etc etc.

Engineers don't design maintenance for a giggle. They do aim for the minimum maintenance that's realistic.

Hi,

Cheers,

Ed
I hope they don't need a new gearbox every five years !!!

I've only had one gearbox failure in my life and that was a car 27 years old and over 200,000 miles !

Slightly off topic but the last gearbox failure I had was in a brand new Nissan SquashedGuy . I was working in Denmark and commented to the local engineers I was working with that it was quite a nice drive and was of course well screwed together because it was built in England .

With that the gearstick came off in my hand ! I kid you not , like something out of a clowns car 🤡 😲 ! Laugh ?...not much. Luckily it was in second gear and I managed to get back to the hotel on the rev limiter...Hire car, no biggie

I would say yes. Fluids deteriorate over time, especially when used in harsh environment (heat/pressure). And mileage is only a very very rough guide when it comes to work done by mechanical components on a car anyway.

And, the time interval for the 5g box was 4 years, the 7g box was 3 years. It was extended to 5 years with 7g+, so it's probably stretching it as far as possible anyway.

There was a period of time around 2007, when MB tried to change this to 'sealed for life', but did a U-turn on that very quickly, probably for a good reason.

I would change the ATF on time (and have done so on all my cars).

But then, it's your car..... your decision.

+1

I'd go for it was almost the first thing i had done on mine, although the car had FMBSH the previous skipped a few bits like gear box, spark plugs and fuel filter probably due to the low mileage he did but they where the first things i done and had done once i got the conductor plate sorted. Technically it had two one when the conductor plate was replaced and one a month later on the service schedule and it'll get another in the next 12K'ish miles.

I have often pondered over this conundrum as I being based in HK, my cars back in the UK don't get as much use now as previously. For example, there was a time when my E-Class (now disposed of) had an annual mileage of only 25 miles (incurred getting the car to its annual MOT and service only). Did this E-Class *really* required an annual oil change having only done 25 miles? What if I changed its oil without driving a single mile? Would I need still need to change the oil after a year?

If so why? If not, would I need to change its oil if I had done 1 mile? 10 miles? 100 miles? 500 miles? At what point would I really need to change its oil?

I couldn't find a definitive answer, so I just get all my cars serviced annually regardless of use - which is probably not very green. But life is too short!

Slightly off topic but the last gearbox failure I had was in a brand new Nissan SquashedGuy . I was working in Denmark and commented to the local engineers I was working with that it was quite a nice drive and was of course well screwed together because it was built in England .

With that the gearstick came off in my hand ! I kid you not , like something out of a clowns car 🤡 😲 ! Laugh ?...not much. Luckily it was in second gear and I managed to get back to the hotel on the rev limiter...Hire car, no biggie
The lever coming out in your hand isn’t really a gearbox failure ( the box is still fine ) .

That happened to me in my manual W114 280E about 40 years ago when I had just moved off onto Crewe Toll roundabout , went to take second , and the lever came out in my hand - I carried on across the roundabout with the engine screaming at about 6000 rpm , which was only something like 20moh , stopped , pulled up the rubber gaiter and popped the lever back onto the shaft , drove to a quieter side street and got a spanner out of the boot to tighten the lock nut.

The gearbox was fine .

Mercedes ESS is still showing 31k or every 3 years for the 7g+ ATF change on my E63.

I did notice that for some cars it's 3 years, not 5, AMG included (but not limited to). But for the majority of cars, MB seem to stipulate 5 years for the 7g+ box.

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your responses. It's actually my father's car, and he's 80 and shielding due to Covid (and the unfortunately slowing down in life). I have the same car, but with the 7G box, so different intervals, and regular use. I'm taking care of the car for him - it might end up being mine in any case! When it's time to retire the car, we'll decide if we sell mine or his.

I know there's no real answer other than 'yes get it done that's what it says'. I think as the car is parked up doing very little, there's no need to get it done right away, and it will get done before any 'heavy use' resumes.

Yes, the E63 variant of the 7G+ isn't the same as the standard 7G+, so intervals are different I believe.

Anyway, for someone that likes cars, this kind of discussion is interesting...

Cheers,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom