7g tronic DIY advice from people who have done it

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

IFFY100

Car
Cls 350 cdi 2010 grand edition
So I have the w219 cls 350cdi and have touched on this topic before but want to get deeper in to it. I really want to service the box myself but haven't done auto before. I really want to hear from people who have done this job before as to what to watch out for/tops and tricks. Wighty kindly has given his experience for which I obliged, but what do others think?
Also what should you pay at an indie for this job

Given that the main expense for this job is the oil and not the labour, I’d stick to paying an indie to carry it out if you’re not 100% sure what you’re doing. The headache of an improperly serviced transmission far outweighs any potential small saving. The cost would be around £200 inc oil and parts.

Can't begin to imagine why you'd want to do this yourself to save the labour charge, unless you're a car mechanic by trade.

I have done my 5g and my 7g over the last 3 years , I attempted both as a total diy’er because I want to up my skills and test myself for a future where I own something special like a CL/SL and are able to afford it by self service and diy repair . These were my reasons but as others above have said you have to want to do it because you won’t save a lot of money over Indy costs the first time you do the 7g .
The parts cost with oil would be £100 , and an icarsoft would be another £100 (helpful for the temperature) .
I have been servicing and repairing where necessary both cars for the last 5 years (how time flies) .
As with a lot of diy jobs , the first time you buy tools you don’t make a saving , the second and all future times you are quids in :)

I’d recommend that you buy a pump too, and a fitting for it to screw into the sump. It’ll be a messy process if you don’t

Garage job . I was quoted £220. Its quite technical and must be done correctly.

I have done my 5g and my 7g over the last 3 years , I attempted both as a total diy’er because I want to up my skills and test myself for a future where I own something special like a CL/SL and are able to afford it by self service and diy repair . These were my reasons but as others above have said you have to want to do it because you won’t save a lot of money over Indy costs the first time you do the 7g .
The parts cost with oil would be £100 , and an icarsoft would be another £100 (helpful for the temperature) .
I have been servicing and repairing where necessary both cars for the last 5 years (how time flies) .
As with a lot of diy jobs , the first time you buy tools you don’t make a saving , the second and all future times you are quids in :)
W1ghty mate thank you so very much for your reply.

I was hoping to avoid the first couple of posts hence the title. I mean no offence to the posters I refer to.
My reason is exactly what wighty reason is. Like many members on this forum I'm here because I do the DIY to enjoy myself not to save money as such. That sense of achievement is priceless and addictive - right w1ghty? I have been working on cars for years and throughly love it. A sad as it may sound: I'll be over the moon after I've accomplished this DIY!!!

I’d recommend that you buy a pump too, and a fitting for it to screw into the sump. It’ll be a messy process if you don’t
I want a good sleek pump for this, recommendations?

Also the software is a good idea anyway but seen people using temp guns and reading the tranny sump temp? Wonder how accurate this is

For the hassle and also the possibility of not "getting it right", any work on auto gearbox and brakes are far too important on MB vehicles. Sensible to let good "Indy" do the work, plenty around the country.

Not attempted the brakes yet as I've had the car for only a week or so but would of have thought they are relatively straightforward??

Not attempted the brakes yet as I've had the car for only a week or so but would of have thought they are relatively straightforward??

They are child's play. Mb quoted £199 for rear pads on my c250. Cost me £30 and an hour of my time.ill be doing the e350 when they needed also. Due to this

Additional Repair items:
  • Replace Front Discs + Pads £495.96
  • Replace Front Pads £231.34
  • Replace Front Wiper Blades £57.19
  • Replace Rear Discs + Pads £454.38
  • Replace Rear Pads £215.87

Wish I could get 5 a week. I'd pack in work.

The only thing tricky is the grease points and and type of grease to use. Also to not get grease on any rubber as it will swell the rubber causing premature wear

And if changing the discs; then to get the hub meeting point very clean and flat of rust

I want a good sleek pump for this, recommendations?
In my diy thread I use a £5 eBay oil transfer pump with an MB gearbox adapter and an on/off plumbing valve , total cost £12 ?

Reactions: 219
A friend of mine owns a garage and the number of cars he gets in to sort out the mess enthusiastic DIY'ers have caused is surprising.
So my advice would always be to "makes sure the talent far outweighs the enthusiasm"

Everyone is going to make mistakes starting or trying something new , read up on the work , buy the tools , work slowly and carefully .
If you aren’t that sort of practical person don’t do it , pay someone else to do everything . Not everyone is suited to diy of houses , cars etc . Horses for courses
It would deprive me of a great deal of mechanical pleasure if I attempted nothing at all just because I had never done it before .
Anyway I’m off to play with my new central heating powerflush , I’ve never used one of them before either :eek:

Hi,
You'll need to identify whether you have a 7g gearbox or a 7g+.
The ATF spec is different for each.

If you have stop/start you definitely have a 7g+.

Given that the main expense for this job is the oil and not the labour, I’d stick to paying an indie to carry it out if you’re not 100% sure what you’re doing. The headache of an improperly serviced transmission far outweighs any potential small saving. The cost would be around £200 inc oil and parts.
Given that I could go down to Halfords and buy 5L of ATF for around £30 and a filter for around the same price , that's an awful lot of labour for a job that is really easy to do .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom