7g tronic fluid leak advise

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tonykirt72

Car
Mercedes E320 cdi sport
I've got a s211 E320 and when I got car it had the oil seal replaced on torque converter, noticed last week it had leaked again, was coming from bell housing again, been back to garage but they say it's nothing to do with them as all they did was change seal and told dealers they wouldnt warranty work as it looked like it had been worked on before or was recon box, level is still ok and only seemed to leak for a short time, anyone any ideas of possible causes of what could leak from within bell housing, thanks

Has it been overfilled and pewking out fluid from the top hat breather on the top of the box? Giving the impression that the front pump seal is leaking.

The other concern is that the front pump bush is worn and the torque converter nose being attached to the flex plate is doing the samba during rotation and doing contingent damage to the front seal. Hence the leak.
So more investigation needed my Dear Watson!

Cheers Tuercas Viejas

Are you sure it's ATF dripping out?

There's loads of common oil leak "opportunities" on that engine, most of which will result in oil appearing to come from the bellhousing...

Yeah definitely atf, red fluid, annoying as really like the car and didn't expect all this especially as they spent over 80p having torque converter seal replaced before I picked it up

The front pump bush and wear can only be ascertained by a partial tear down and removal of the pump assembly.

I suppose in order of occurrence the following is pertinent.
Careless assembly of transmission to engine

Alignment dowels missing at engine to transmission mating flange.

Engine to transmission bolts left loose or came loose.

Catastrophic engine failure where the crankshaft bearing was so severe that the loads of the crankshaft were taken by the pump seal and front bush causing very rapid wear. This is often overlooked by repair staff when replacing or reworking an engine --Asking what about the front pump and seal!??
Food for thought!
Tuercas Viejas

It's strange that it only seemed to leak for a short while then kept checking it all week but nothing more came out, could feel it was wet inside bell housing when I put my finger through gap at bottom

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom