7G - Tronic loss of gear selection after about an hours driving

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JB052

Car
W209
My 2006 CLK 280 (W209) has developed a problem with gear selection in the 7G automatic transmission after about an hours driving.

In summary the car appears to remain stuck in one gear with loss of gear selection or kick down. I think it must remain in quite a high gear as it requires far more throttle than usual to move away from slow speeds If I stop and turn the car off it seems to correct itself. The car has done a 130k miles with at least one transmission fluid change.

Having looked at past forum threads, there are a number of options including failing conductor plate, transmission fluid requires changing and maf cleaning.
I will try and get the car hooked up to Star for code reading, but in the meantime any thoughts on what the problem may be ?

Still waiting to get any codes read using Star, interestingly although I suspect the car goes into limp mode there are no warning lights appearing in the dashboard.

Can I ask where you had the new electro/conductor plate fitted on your CLK?

First, get the oil changed ---- slade1----- it's quite possible that your prob was the same, it might have been cured by the new oil.

First, get the oil changed ---- slade1----- it's quite possible that your prob was the same, it might have been cured by the new oil.
That was my first thought. but problem with just changing the oil and cleaning the filter, is that is wasted if the conductor plate does need to be repaired

Well you are right a ATF change is wasted if it is the electroplate,it is very common not to get codes,how many miles has the car done ,where abouts are you ,if you use a indy they will remove the plate and send it away to be repaired,then it can be fitted back into your car and it will need no coding,if you buy a new one it needs coding.

FWIW my 7G-Tronic in the 2003 S211 E500 wasn't available separately as a conductor plate, so I had to purchase the valve body, too ££££

Well you are right a ATF change is wasted if it is the electroplate,it is very common not to get codes,how many miles has the car done ,where abouts are you ,if you use a indy they will remove the plate and send it away to be repaired,then it can be fitted back into your car and it will need no coding,if you buy a new one it needs coding.
Car has done 136K miles, I'm in Bedfordshire and looking at options of where to get to get the work done.
There is a local independent and I'm waiting to hear when they can hook it up to STAR.
Car has full history from new and according to the receipts ATF was changed at about 40K, but can't find anything indicating it has been done since.
I'm wondering if there is any connection with the recent warm weather as no problems until this week.

Well ECU Testing will charge £225 to repair your electroplate/valve body,they will give a lifetime warranty with it,also which might help is when they get your electroplate.valve body they will test it and if it is ok they will only charge you the test fee.they do this because like you without codes there maybe nothing wrong,they have a 3 day turnaround.

Thanks for the info on ECU Testing, its a shame they don't offer a service where you drop the car off and pick it up again a few days later.

Thought I would update this post, phoned my local independent in his view almost certain its the electroplate and as he only sources parts direct from MB won't do the work as not allowed to recode a new plate.

Phoned a couple of other independents and waiting to see if any of them are prepared to remove and send the old plate to ECU-Testing and then refit it to my car afterwards.

Currently waiting for replies. In the meantime car still drivable and no warning lights have appeared.

Thought I would update this post, phoned my local independent in his view almost certain its the electroplate and as he only sources parts direct from MB won't do the work as not allowed to recode a new plate.

Phoned a couple of other independents and waiting to see if any of them are prepared to remove and send the old plate to ECU-Testing and then refit it to my car afterwards.

Currently waiting for replies. In the meantime car still drivable and no warning lights have appeared.
An issue that I faced is that my indy didn't want an immobilised vehicle sat awaiting the reconditioning of the part.

An issue that I faced is that my indy didn't want an immobilised vehicle sat awaiting the reconditioning of the part
That is something I had considered, potentially taking up workshop space. Also a messy job to clean off the oil prior to posting.

Well thats why indies do not like doing the electroplate,see if a mobile mechanic will raise the car on big axle stands on your driveway,I seem to remember there was another electroplate tester who did what you were asking thats you leave the car there,but I seem to remember it was near Liverpool,got it Valve bodies uk they fit the repaired electroplate using their garage call Robbs there tel number is 0151 6399022 they are at Wallasey,given you are in Bedford you might have to make it a short holiday :rolleyes:

Thanks, I will give Valve Bodies a call tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom