7G Tronic - manual gear shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I love the 7G in my SL350. Most of the time gear shifts are complete non events, but when you want to 'push' it, it holds onto the gears well and with more ratios keeps the car well in the optimum range. Manual shifting works well too. The only issue I have with 7 gears is when descending steep hills and wanting to hold a low gear, sometimes I seem to have to click down more gears that seems natural. That though is just me learning the car I think.

Regards,

Thanks guys. I'm getting a feel for the S211 market at the moment, and the selection process has been slightly tainted by the 7sp box, partly because of my indie's comments on problems related to it. I don't want to waste people's time with test drives until I'm ready to buy, so your comments are helpful!

I've had the 7G box in both my previous ML and current C350 and I think it is excellent. But on dual carriageway at speed I always manually flick down a couple of gears as I approach roundabouts so that I am in a lowish gear to make a fast getaway on the other side. Similarly when overtaking. It just makes me feel more involved!

Love the 7g autobox in my cls,don't have any down shift problems when slowing as kickdown always finds the right gear when you need to accelerate quickly through a roundabout etc.

When you go from 6 up the car will always show D, as all the gears 7 and below are available. 6 for instance means that the car will not go above 6.

There should be a button next to the gear lever which will toggle between S, W and M for manual. From memory if it's on M, it will then show 7 in the cluster when selected.

The gearbox is (or should be) very smooth, and it will not change-up if it feels that it would not be a good idea...

I would not worry...
Hi, i have noticed something during a test drive of a used 2013mercedes C200 cgi 7g tronic, that when i tried to manually shift the gears, it was all smooth till 6th gear. afterthat it just went to 'D' instead of 7. my speed was around 45-50mph(may be this is the reason?). I dont know why this happened.why shifting to D instead of 7?the one i drove didn't have manual or mode but had a + _ on either sides of the stick shift. seeking help on this matter. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi, i have noticed something during a test drive of a used 2013mercedes C200 cgi 7g tronic, that when i tried to manually shift the gears, it was all smooth till 6th gear. afterthat it just went to 'D' instead of 7. my speed was around 45-50mph(may be this is the reason?). I dont know why this happened.why shifting to D instead of 7?the one i drove didn't have manual or mode but had a + _ on either sides of the stick shift. seeking help on this matter. Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.
I believe the 7g is 6 forward gears and 1 reverse ?

When you go from 6 up the car will always show D, as all the gears 7 and below are available. 6 for instance means that the car will not go above 6.

There should be a button next to the gear lever which will toggle between S, W and M for manual. From memory if it's on M, it will then show 7 in the cluster when selected.

The gearbox is (or should be) very smooth, and it will not change-up if it feels that it would not be a good idea...

I would not worry...

I have an E350 CDi with 7G-Tronic. I'm pretty sure if I'm in manual mode the display goes up from 6 to D rather than 6 to 7.

I have an E350 CDi with 7G-Tronic. I'm pretty sure if I'm in manual mode the display goes up from 6 to D rather than 6 to 7.
Any revv changes during 6to D? Thanks

Most of the time the revs drop slightly yes if it goes from 6 to 7. I do find occasionally if the engine is cold and/or I've got the radio & aircon on the revs won't drop as the engine need the extra revs for electrical power. At this time it will go from what ever number to D and stay in that gear until the engine can change up. If you are in manual mode the car will automatically switch to auto mode if you stay in the same gear for a certain period of time, maybe a minute or so.

Reactions: 219
Had a test drive in a SLK which had the paddle shift. When using the paddles on upshifting I could see the gear display going up 1,2,3 etc but on getting to 6 the next paddle operation displayed D. I was also watching the rev counter and in addition feeling the slight surge when shifting, however on pressing the paddle when 6 was displayed there was no reduction in the rpm and could not detect the shift when moving to D. So am I missing something as no experience with this auto box or is something vere very wrong as there appeared to be no 7th gear? Also when downshifting from D the next gear displayed was 5, not 6. Is this also normal/abnormal. The owner of the car could not comment as had only used the car in the auto mode.
The use of 7th gear will depend on your speed and the engine load ; if you are just doing 30mph for example , I would not expect it to go to 7th .

I haven’t driven a 7 speed , but the above applies to any automatic gearbox .

I would think that if you are maintaining a constant speed then, yes, revs should drop as the gearbox engages a higher gear?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom