7G-Tronic Plus Autobox - Interesting Article

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

st13phil

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
While mousing around to see what I could find in the way of information about the new 7G-Tronic Plus transmission, I found this article for download. It's fascinating to read about the design objectives and what has been done to meet them.

I have no idea how long it will be available, so if you're interested get a copy now!

Indeed it is, not least the changed NVH requirements brought about by the use of ever smaller engines with increasing degrees of forced induction that give good power delivery at low engine speeds.

This article should dispel the myth for anyone who thinks automotive transmissions are just about selecting an appropriate set of gear ratios :rolleyes:

Serious impressive !!

Very interesting Phil, thanks.

I did note this however... "Optimized vehicle cooling, an improved fluid formula, and reduced friction throughout the transmission translate into extended service intervals, whereby the fluid no longer must be replaced the first 50,000 km, but every 125,000 km only." And wondered where I'd heard it before? :wallbash:. Why do they persist with extending service intervals for such critical components. A couple of £hundred for an oil change every two years or so would be far better basic engineering. imho...

Interesting that the article states that the transmission fluid now has a longer life!!!! The old fluid was only good for 50,000km new 125,000km!!! So much for the 5 speed boxes transmission fluid sealed for life!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom