7G Tronic sytem...does that have wheel shifters?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barrieeld

Car
AMG
just wondered if all 7Gtronic gearboxes had gear shift leavers on the steering wheel?

I don't think it is exactly about 7G-tronic versus 5 gear, anyway I guess the basic steering wheel shift buttons on a W221 count too (these are standard). Paddle shifters appear on higher end models of W221.

It was an optional extra on my S203. An option I regret not taking (more toys!) :p

Also, it would have been shift buttons, not paddles on this model.

Does this vehicle have it? I cant quite see from the steering wheel properly, maybe someone out there will know?

Attachments

• media.jpg
    media.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 93
Yes, it looks to have, the button is the one on the back of the steering wheel opposite the indicator stalk. Some of the early ones (like mine) are rocker switches so the same button can be used for up/down shifting.

Portzy.

whats really the difference between the button system and the leaver system found in say the cl63 or clk350 sport for example?

whats really the difference between the button system and the leaver system found in say the cl63 or clk350 sport for example?

The early versions, (like mine), which had buttons, they were multi-functional i.e you could up/down shift with either button the exception being the AMG SLK which had dedicated buttons. The, (new), paddle system, as far as I know, are also dedicated up/down paddles the right one being for upshifts and the left one being for downshifts.

Portzy.

My 7G Tronic doesn't have it - it was an option I too wish I had selected...:(

Mine does have the buttons (I think I prefer the sound of these rather than paddles becasue you can change either up or down from either side). Certainly missed then yesterday when in a loan car.

David

Why does anyone want to change up or down.? Just buy a car with plenty of torque and let it do the thinking.

Why does anyone want to change up or down.? Just buy a car with plenty of torque and let it do the thinking.

This thread is beginning to go the way of a BMW forum, but occasionally if one overtakes manual intervention isn't a bad idea.

I tested a Q7 with paddle shifts, and it was awesome fun, would never tire of it.

Flappy paddle shifters are good for true manual mode. Otherwise the left/right action on the gear selector is fine for the occasional donwshift for enthusiastic overtaking :D

Flappy paddle shifters are good for true manual mode. Otherwise the left/right action on the gear selector is fine for the occasional donwshift for enthusiastic overtaking :D

I prefer my right foot for that....:D

I prefer my right foot for that....:D

With the selector option one can downshift 1 or 2 cogs (the car decides) in preparation for the overtake. Using kickdown you have to commit to the overtake before the car downshifts, usually just the 1 gear.

I've been told if you hold the gear shift left, or the downshift button down for a second the cars chooses the most optimum gear for acceleration, which with the 7G can be more than 2 cogs. It certainly creates an effect, but I often find it a bit more of a mess and rarely need the extra oomph that this gives.

David

I've been told if you hold the gear shift left, or the downshift button down for a second the cars chooses the most optimum gear for acceleration, which with the 7G can be more than 2 cogs. It certainly creates an effect, but I often find it a bit more of a mess and rarely need the extra oomph that this gives.

David

Indeed that's exactly what one must do. At least this way one can launch into the traffic under full accleration, rather ease out and wait for the kickdown to come in..

The flappy paddles are really good for keeping both hands on the wheel :D

They were an option on my SLK. Don't use them very often, normally only fell roads. I understand you get slightly different ECU programming in 'M' mode - a little more 'agressive' as well as the paddles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom