7zap and VIN search to identify correct parts

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MrGreedy

MB Enthusiast
Car
E350 CDI
Hello all,

Usually, when I search in 7zap using a VIN, when I click through to whatever relevant diagram, it usually lists only the part numbers that are specific to my vehicle e.g. it lists only 2 thermostats, separated by engine serial number.
Whereas if I generically search through by model e.g. Mercedes>E350 CDI>212.023 it will list multiple part numbers that were available for a number of different specced cars under that model.

HOWEVER, when I search using a VIN and look at brakes, it still lists all of the calipers, discs, pads etc for all models, and doesn't narrow it down to my specific model.

Example VIN (not my VIN) is WDD2120262A902028
This is a 2014 E350 BlueTEC AMG Sport.
It comes with Brembo brake calipers on the front with part number A2044215398 (L) or A2044215498 (R).
These calipers are listed, but so are all the other caliper types.
When trying to find the disc and pads to fit these calipers, there comes the problem, because it also lists all of the other component types, regardless of what caliper is fitted.

If for example, someone was looking to swap out their non-Brembo calipers and instead install the Brembo calipers (both factory fit on to the same hubs), how would they go about identifying the matching components?
They might want to do this because for the Brembo caliper setup, it is possible to buy ceramic/low dust/Akebono brake pads, whereas for the non-Brembo calipers, they might be limited to Merc only ultra dust pads.
They might also find that the Brembo calipers are cheaper than the generic sliding calipers, although the Brembo calipers come fully refurbished from Elstock these days (which is no bad thing for refurbed calipers).

7 zap is a good resource for identifying part numbers for your specific car (it seems to be a copy of the official MB parts list judging by the print outs given to me by local MB parts dept), but gets complicated when you put in a model number as you have found out. I found it a bit difficult to fathom when identifying parts not fitted to your car originally, but I guess that's not what it's there for. MB parts departments, at least the ones I tried, don't seem to be able or want to help, and in any event are a bit reluctant to supply parts not fitted as standard replacements.
Research on the interweb or requests on forums for info on a particular change you have in mind seems the only way. A good indie who may have done a particular conversion/addition might also help.

Sometimes there is a change of supplier/part numbers during production. Sometimes there can also be a crossover of different parts. Not sure if these sites can determine exactly which one is correct, even though they are taken from EPC. Even EPC sometimes lists 2 or 3 variants and you have to check the chassis number to work out which one it is.

@MrGreedy if you want me to check against EPC, drop me you VIN or post it here

Thanks bob6600,

Generally 7zap does find my correct part number by VIN.
In the example I gave I was referring to brakes, as I'm interested to know how to correctly identify the brakes from the VIN, because there are several options for the same car.
I know exactly what parts are on my car, because I've been able to just look at them on the car. But I've not been able to narrow it down with my VIN (which is more convenient).

Whilst this question was more generally aimed to understand how this might work to narrow down parts by VIN, my current interest is trying to work out what discs and pads and calipers fit a particular car (the one in post#1). This links to the following thread at post#49:

The car/VIN I mention in post#1 is the one I'm trying to identify the front pads, discs and calipers for that I'm also using as the basis for my guess of part numbers in the ATE Ceramic Pads thread.

WDD2120262A902028

A 204 421 53 98 Brake Caliper Left
A 204 421 54 98 Brake Caliper Right
A 007 420 63 20 Brake Pads
A 000 421 15 12 Brake Disc Vented Right/Left

As per your PM, the part numbers for your car are indeed different

Front Left Caliper A2044213581
Front Right Caliper A2044213681
Front Discs A0004213012
Front Pads A0054201020 replaced by A0064202820 replaced by A0074207520 (current part number)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom