8 hole of 15 hole?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

James1976

Car
94 300 SL-24 in Bornite, 2010 Smart Fortwo Passion
As it says in the title, my motor is fitted with the 8 hole alloys and is a 94 300SL-24. I guess it was built in 93 and is of course pre-facelift when they changed to the 280 and 320.

The alloys either need a complete refurb (as I'm very fussy), or I will change them completely. I actually like the 15 hole alloys and have found some cheap new on the interweb. However, I guess by this time the 8 holes were standard and it wasn't available new with the 15 hole alloys? :dk:

Does anyone know what other alloys were available when it was new (either factory or dealer fit) so therefore would be "correct" as it were, on the car? Have tried searching but found little and yes, I know there's a very similar thread going on an sl 500 :)

I'm not terribly keen on the AMG alloys to be fair, although am slowly changing my mind :D

Thanks all!

Try looking at Mercedes AMG BMW alloy wheels & tyres, UK wheel alloys. This will tell you all the mercedes wheels that will fit your car. Unfortunately it wont tell you precisely which ones were available when your car was new. Be careful when buying wheels from the web. Lots are replicas and whilst looking identical may require different bolts.

One of the sites I've been looking at funnily enough!

That's what I'm trying to find out unfortunately - what you could get at the time and therefore what would be correct.

Hopefully someone else on the forum will have researched just such a thing....I hope :confused:

Can you get a hold of a period accessories brochure that shows wheel options for your car. I have one for the E class of the same period, you should be able to find one for the 129’s as well....

Good idea. Fleabay here I come!

Can you get a hold of a period accessories brochure that shows wheel options for your car. I have one for the E class of the same period, you should be able to find one for the 129’s as well....

pop this number in the search field on a certain auction site

SL class 129 series 15 hole wheel Style A 8J x 16 ET34 225/55 TYRE

WHEEL ORDER NO B6 6 47 0051
WHEEL BOLTS NO B6 6 47 0101
RIM LOCK NO B6 6 40 8232

I don't believe 8-holes were ever standard (except for the SL600) - but they were a cost option.

I know for sure this is true after the 1996 facelift as I have a the UK brochure. The standard wheel on the 280/320/500 was then the 12 hole, with the 8 hole (and AMG 3-piece) as options.

So it's quite possible that 8 holes would be correct for your car.

Thanks all!

Yes, I have the 8 hole and I am pretty certain they were options at the time - it's shown on my car's spec sheet as optional alloys and therefore I guess the 8 holes are the originals. The one thing I didn't know is what wheels could have been put on it which now seemingly from Grober's post I do. Thanks!

Next question is which ones do I want to get when I change them? Very tempted to go for new wheels rather than refurbish the current ones.

Thought about the machined version of the 8 hole alloys but imagine they look a bit rough after a little while - and they're also very similar to the current ones.

I quite like the 5 hole style E as noted above. what do you all think?

The 5 hole wheels are from the 1999 facelift, so definitely not right for your car.

The "Evo II" wheels shown above (which are actually called Ceginus) are the right period for your car, and look nice. I had them on my SL originally - click the picture of it in my footer to see some photos.

Last edited:
Really BTB? I thought the Evo II were from a slightly later model than a 93 / 94?

J

Really BTB? I thought the Evo II were from a slightly later model than a 93 / 94?

The 17" Ceginus wheels were first used on the 190E 2.5-16 Evolution II (which is why they are often called "Evo II") in 1990, so they'd have been available from then. They were fitted as standard on the R129 Mille Miglia edition in 1994.

J

W201 production ended in late '93 or early '94. The latest plate I've seen is an 'L' which started 01.08.93.

In that case it sounds like I might have found the right wheels for the motor!

Have to say Bill they look great oin your car....

They've also got Bill's car on as a model LOL. Unless I'm very much mistaken anyway!

To be fair with wheels uless they're cheap I'd always want to fit new - although a grand is hardly cheap!

I'll have a think about it. Althuogh did see a dark blue 500sl down in surrey this weekend with two tone modern AMG alloys which looked surprisingly very good.....

They've also got Bill's car on as a model LOL. Unless I'm very much mistaken anyway!

Yup that's my car!

I have no connection with them btw, other than as a satisfied customer. They sold me the 18" AMG split-rims it has on now, and my Ceginus wheels went to a member here for his R129.

To be correct for the year my car should have the older style 3-piece AMGs, but they are > £3000 a set (rims only) and can be prone to cracking between the bolt holes ... both of which put me off!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom