8 Litres of Petrol in a CDi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ldare

Car
2007 R320 CDI Sport / 2003 270ML CDI Inspiration
Hi,
Its been a hell of a week and I was distracted when at the petrol station. I put 8 litres of petrol into the tank of my 2003 270ML CDi. As soon as I realised what I had done I stopped, hence just 8 litres. The guys in the petrol station its such a small amount just carry on filling with diesel.

Done about 100 miles since.

All seems ok so far.

Any advice?? Tips?
Cheers
Louis

I put 5 litres of petrol in my E320 CDI. No idea why can only think it was all those years of picking up the green pump. Luckily I got a watt of petrol and stopped.

Fortunately I then filled the rest of the tank with diesel so it ended up thoroughly diluted. I then used about 1/3 of the tank and topped up again. This was about a year and 13k ago an zero issues so far.

Thanks you three. I feel much happier now. :)

Depends on what proportion of a full tank of diesel 8 litres represents. As stated the dilution factor should take care of the issue. Technically its bad because moving parts of the diesel injection system, in particular the high pressure side with fine clearances rely on being part lubricated by the fuel itself- petrol 's solvent nature means these surfaces could be "washed" clean and suffer undue wear. The higher the pressure and narrower the clearances the more critical it becomes but should be less of an issue with a 2003 car than more modern models.

... It'll be fine!
I had a pal fill his Honda CBR600 with diesel way back when. Trailered it to my place, where we emptied the tank, filled it back up with petrol and hit the starter. It smoked like a Red Arrow for half an hour or so until the fuel lines etc were all clear but it was rather hilarious (if a tad environmentally unfriendly). Diesel into petrol would always be my preferred option. ;)

I put 60 litres of petrol in mine and drove it for a mile or so. Had it drained and flushed by a little back street place recommended by the RAC recovery man and it's still running twelve years later.

I would dose the fuel with some 2 stroke oil at the usual dosage for diesel fuel which I think is 250:1.
That would make up for the lost lubricity.

There is a possibility that the unburnt petrol will wash down into your oil and dilute it. It happened with a neighbours car and destroyed the turbo.

Not too much to worry about, aviation personnel have been running their Diesel cars on Jet A1 Kerosene mixed with Diesel since time immemorial.
You can also use a kerosene mix in your petrol powered car, but its a bit smokey and smells.....plus you upset the Police and HMRC.
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom